The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Psi2Win
   Psi2Win - Support & more
(Moderators: Mikesan, Boris)
   Com Ports
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Com Ports  (Read 966 times)
Steve
Power Member

Com Ports
« on: Dec 28th, 2010, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Boris,
First a big thank you for all your efforts on all things Psion.
After lots of effort I've managed to get PSI2WIN to run on my laptop using Vista. My probs have been mainly com related. When I run PSI2WIN it chooses Com3, and everything works fine. HOWEVER! When I exit PSI2WIN and try to use my mobile broadband stick I get a "No device" error message. If I investigate via Windows control panel I see that the port normally used by my broadband dongle is still occupied by my USB-Serial adaptor.  Is there a way whereby the port cane be freed up when exiting PSI2WIN?
My apologies if I've missed anything obvious.
Kind regards,
Steve
Boris
Administrator

Re: Com Ports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Psi2Win stops using the port after being terminated, and thus frees the port. The problem is that the Virtual CommPort driver of your device is still blocking the port, and this actually is the expected behaviour.  

To overcome the problem, you have to tell the driver of the Serial adapter to use a different port. With the device I have been using for tests, this is done like this:
  • Right click the device in the device manager (in my case it is called "Prolific USB-to- Serial Comm Port (COM4)"
  • Select Properties
  • Select the "Port-Settings" tab
  • click the "Advanced" button
  • In the dialog, there is a dropdown to choose the port, select a port that is not used by any other device.

If you fail in this procedure, you can still try to convince your dongle of using a different port.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2010, 8:10pm by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.