The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Psi2Win
   Psi2Win - Support & more
(Moderators: Mikesan, Boris)
   Psi2Win
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Psi2Win  (Read 2588 times)
Billirl

Psi2Win
« on: Aug 11th, 2010, 5:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have moved from an old serial port laptop to a Windows7 USB port PC & laptop. I have tried Psi2Win with both without success. I install a Prolific USB serial port adaptor software and then connect adaptor. I set the port to Com1. I set Psi2Win to Com1, set Protocol on the Psion to Psion, set the open file on my Ironkey Flash memory or HDD and try my usual downloading to the Psion. What I get is "device write err" "press space key". I even tried to use the adaptor with CL.EXE without success on both PC & Toshiba laptop. I have tried also to use COM3.  
I tried to run the adaptor and Psi2Win in the old Windows XP machine which now does not have any virus protection software with the same result. CL.exe worked fine on this machine still. Any suggestions would be appreciated
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2010, 9:04pm by Billirl »
Boris
Administrator

Re: Psi2Win
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2010, 8:06pm »

Well, first of all, you will need to check which COM-port the adapter really uses. Sometimes the setup allows to choose a port, but very often these settings don't work or are forgotten after a reboot.
So open the device manager and look for "Ports (COM & LPT)" or similar.  
If you click the entry, you should see a list of Serial and printer ports, including something like "USB to Serial Port Converter (COM3)".  
If the port number is between 1 and 4, you can select the port right when starting up Psi2Win, its label should be in green. If it is grey, Psi2Win couldn't detect the port, if it is red, there is something wrong.  
Psi2Win shows an error message if you have selected an unsuitable port.

If your device insists to use a port above COM4, the whole thing is slightly more complicated.  
Terminate Psi2Win and use the search field in the start menu to locate a file called psi2win.ini. Theoretically this should be in the program folder, but if you don't have full administrator privileges, it could also be in some special folder for user settings.  

Doubleclicking the file should open the editor, look for the line

port=#

where # is a number and write your port number there.
Save the file and try again.
Unfortunately this will not work for numbers above 15.

However I have some reports that the serial port driver Psi2win uses (MSCOMM32.OCX) is incompatible with some USB converters, if that should be the case, send me an email and I'll try to find a fix.

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Billirl

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 12:05pm »

Boris, first may I take this opportunity to express my admiration for your attitude to life. I am an OAP and can only now in my advanced years begin to understand the obvious motivation driving you. Well done and thank you for everything!
I am using Windows7 so a search is not easily available from START. I found Psi2Wim.ini and changed the port to COM4 following your note above. Psi2Win shows 'Waiting for link' on COM4 and I open the directory on the PC that contains the procedures I want to transfer, first on Windows and afterwards on command prompt. I then try to 'receive' a procedure from the Psion (set to PSION protocol) but get a "DEVICE WRITE ERR" on both counts. My device is a 'Prolific USB-Serial Controller D' and " This device is working properly" I use a COMMS LINK from the Psion through a 25-9 pin converter through the Prolific unit to a USB port. When I was shutting down my laptop I noticed a screen note saying Psi2Win "Run-time error 8021. Internal error retrieving device control block for the port".
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2010, 12:27pm by Billirl »
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 1:08pm »

Two quick questions:

1) are you definitely sure that the adapter uses COM4? Have you checked that in the device manager?

2) Does the error on the organiser come right after you start the transfer or after approximately a minute?

Billirl

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 5:12pm »

Yes, it said COM4.
 Error comes on the Psion screen after approx 30 secs?
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2010, 5:32pm »

OK, I guess it is the aforementioned incompatibility. Please be patient for a few days or maybe a week, I do have a fix for this problem, but I need to do a few more tests.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2010, 5:33pm by Boris »

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.