The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Psi2Win
   Psi2Win - Support & more
(Moderators: Mikesan, Boris)
   Time out...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Time out...  (Read 1513 times)
Yves

Email

Time out...
« on: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'd like to use Psion Organser II with Windows XP (or Linux but it seems to be less easy...).
I installed Psi2Win, it starts but when I try to send a file (main for example) from my psion to the PC, Psi2Win says me Waiting connection... and the psion says Time out... and beeps.
I know you haven't got a lots of informations btu I could answer all the questions you'd like.
Could you help me please ?

Thank you in advance.

Yves
Boris
Administrator

Re: Time out...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 6:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Usually it works! If it does not, in 99,99% the problem is the cable. Psion used a 25pin plug (that was comon in the 80'ies) but nowadays the serial ports only have 9 pins. If the adapter is the wrong type, it will certainly not work....

I even heard of people connecting the commslink cable to the printer port....

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Joe

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 7:14pm »

Hi ! I've got the same problem than above. PsiWin does the same, "waiting for link...", then nothing. I built a converter cable from DB25 to DB9 base on the standard DB25-DB9 pinouts, but it isn't work. What is the correct pinouts for the Psi2Win ? What pins are using during the connection ?

DB9 - DB25
1 - 8
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - 20
5 - 7
6 - 6
7 - 4
8 - 5
9 - 22

My Comms Link working well with a serial printer.

What can be the problem ?
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:35pm »

The adapter is OK. Generally, all lines except RI and DCD are used, although the link even works with only RXD,TXD and GND connected, provided HANDshake is set to NONE.

Have you read this FAQ topic? Are you sure that PROTOcol has been set to PSION in the COMMS>SETUP menu?  

And did you invoke COMMS>SEND? It is a common misunderstanding that Psi2Win does anything on its own. In fact it only sits there and waits for the Organiser to establish a link.

I have noticed that sometimes Psi2Win gets stuck while the user is experimenting with different communication settings. Simply stopping it and restarting thereafter usually helps.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:40pm by Boris »

Yves

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:59am »

Hi,
Thank you for your help ! In fact I (and my lab) have bought a brand new PDA that works (sometimes with Windows XP so I don't try to fix the problem with the organiser II anymore...
Thank you once again for your help
Joe Kiss

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:09pm »

Thank you Boris your ideas, I've checked all of them.

Well I'm using Win XP with this PsiWin.  
I could reach that my Comms Link could do something on my Psion (Psion has written out to its display "Sending..." and counts from 0 to 2 and loud beep, and "Receiving..." and counts as well with loud beep, but nothing happened), but PsiWin remained inactive ("Waiting for link...").  

I've downloaded a terminal program. I could estabilish a bidirectional connection between my pc and my Psion. If I've pressed a button on my Psion's keyboard, a letter (from the pressed button) appeared on my pc's terminal and vice versa. So my Comms Link worked well. But I couldn't estabilish a connection between my Psion and Psi2Win !

What can be the problem ?  
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:59pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:09pm, Joe Kiss wrote:

I've downloaded a terminal program. I could estabilish a bidirectional connection between my pc and my Psion. If I've pressed a button on my Psion's keyboard, a letter (from the pressed button) appeared on my pc's terminal and vice versa. So my Comms Link worked well. But I couldn't estabilish a connection between my Psion and Psi2Win

Very well, this proves that the cable is all right. Now read the manual and find out what Psi2Win can do for you. Again, it is NOT a terminal program. It is a server, and - provided the PSION protocol is used - the Organiser can be its client.
In other words: You can request data from your PC from the moment Psi2Win was started, by invoking the COMMS menu SEND and TRANSMIT functions on your Organiser. YOU MUST HAVE SET THE PROTOCOL TO 'PSION' FOR THIS TO WORK. Don't expect anything else! If you try sending data via the TERMinal, the only thing that may occasionally happen is that Psi2Win gets confused and goes on strike.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:46pm by Boris »

Boris
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:09am »

on Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:09pm, Joe Kiss wrote:
Psion has written out to its display "Sending..." and counts from 0 to 2 and loud beep

If you actually had set Protocol to PSION (see the mentionned link to the FAQ) it would have never beeped without displaying an error.
On the other hand, if you have actually set the protocol correctly, and it counts to three, this proves that it works, because while using the protocol, the organiser would either count or say "Time out" (remember the post topic), an then beep!

Have a look at the download folder (it is the same as the program folder if you havn't changed it using the button with the folder icon). I bet you'll find the file(s) you've sent there.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2007, 10:57am by Boris »

Joe Kiss

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 9:01pm »

Thanx all of help Boris, I could solve my problem of PC link. My Comms Link is a rebuilded one (rebuilded by handicraft for only one application) and it was made for a serial doxmatrix printer (it's a mono directional link, only send datas). I had to made some modification for the bidirectional communication (new soldering, new cabling, etc.) on my Comms Link. And hereafter my PC link would work very well.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.