The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Psi2Win
   Psi2Win - Support & more
(Moderators: Mikesan, Boris)
   problem with psi2win (i have an rs232link cable)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: problem with psi2win (i have an rs232link cable)  (Read 1060 times)
alex

problem with psi2win (i have an rs232link cable)
« on: Aug 30th, 2006, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi,

i have an rs232 link cable, which i think is slightly different to the standard commslink cable. when i plug the cable in to the org2 it displays 'COMMS' on the menu. (by the way i'm new to using org2 etc (it was passed down to me (never used) from my dad, who got it from his father a number of years ago - i have the recipt for it! it cost £99.95 for the org2 (XP) and £47.95 for the RS232 - total £147.90!!! my palm was cheaper than that! )

is there a guide to using either the rs232 or the commslink

thanks everyone,

alex
Boris
Administrator

Re:  problem with psi2win (i have an rs232link cab
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 12:08am »

Have a look at this thread!  
Scroll down until  joakinen  appears, he's got the same problem, and I think he has kind of solved it.

Be warned: the RS232-Link is the forerunner of the CommsLink, however, the CommsLink Manual may prove useful, just forget anything it says about the PSION protocol - it is not yet implemented.

Psi2Win does not work with the RS232-Link for the same reason.

BTW: I bet the palm wasn't even invented when you first heard of the Organiser  
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2006, 4:54pm by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
alex

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2006, 2:27pm »

yeah ok then i'll have a look at that. is there any possibility it will be supported by psi2win in the future?

and btw i actually heard of palm first, then psion tehehe - i'm only just starting GCSEs (live in the UK).
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 4:42pm »

is there any possibility it will be supported by psi2win in the future?

What you need is a terminal program, and Psi2Win is something completely different.  

Technically speaking, Psi2Win is a server for the Psion Link Protocol (PLP / Org2 version). Since the RS232-Link doesn't support this protocol, there is not much that Psi2Win can offer you. In fact, it will silently discard any data you send to it.

Oh well, I could implement the XMODEM protocol as well, but there are thousands of terminal progs that offer this functionallity, so I don't think it's worth the effort.

BTW. I still don't know if the RS232-Link really does XMODEM. I strongly assume it, but can someone confirm this?
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2006, 4:44pm by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
joakinen

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 9:54am »

> I still don't know if the RS232-Link really does XMODEM

Confirmed. It does. I will document how I managed to transfer data PC <-> organiser with RS232 link and XMODEM.

It's not as "confortable" as I imagine comms-link is (I own a Z88 computer that has a comms prog very similar to psi2win for Windows & Linux) but is enough. It remembers me of the old days of Procomm in DOS environments and the backups of data that we did using XMODEM. It's old, it's basic, but it works.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.