The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Psi2Win
   Psi2Win - Support & more
(Moderators: Mikesan, Boris)
   Problem sending diary with psi2win
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Problem sending diary with psi2win  (Read 1110 times)
unclevernon

Problem sending diary with psi2win
« on: Jul 18th, 2005, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
I am trying to send the diary content of a Psion II to a PC through Psi2Win, but I can't get it to wrk. I don't know whether it is possible at all, I am new to this device (can you imagine, in 2005!) . I managed to get the main.odb file over to my PC, open it an read the ASCII content. Next I tried to get the diary info over. I save the iary to A: using the name DIARY. Then I tried to send it over as I did with the main.odb. I know the DIARY file exists, because when I do DIARY|MODE|DIR, I see an entry called DIARY. I even made copies called DIARY12, ABCDE. If I try to transfer any of these files, through COMMS|TRANSMIT|FILE and enter the name DIARY, I get the message 'FILE NOT FOUND'.    
Any idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any input
Boris
Administrator

Re: Problem sending diary with psi2win
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 8:07pm »

You didn't mention which organiser model you have!

But it is fairly easy to guess, because what you experience is a common problem with models CM and XP only.

The COMMS>TRANSMIT>FILE menu option works only with plain text files, but diary files are binary files (type=2) on these machines (probaly to save valuable ram).

OPL is required to transfer binary files. However, there is only one command involved, so this can be achieved even without programming.
Just enter CALC and type
XTSEND:("DIARY","A:DIARY",INT(2))
(provided you have saved the file to pack A as DIARY).

This creates a file called DIARY.OB2 on your PC. Unfortunately, the file still is binary. You'll need to decode it.  
I have realised that this functionallity should really be built into Psi2win, but for now, you'll have to use some other tool.  
Since I vaguely remember the existance of this kind of tool, I'll add a link to this topic if I find it in the archives.
Otherwise I'm going to write a new standalone tool, since I'm gonna need it for Psi2Win anyways and it is quite simple to make. (Nevertheless, it could take a few days.)

Watch this space....

Again: the above is for CM and XP only, the LZ models save the diary as plain text file, so there is no such problem.

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:09am »

OK, I have found something: see: diary link

And I promise to include the diary conversion into the next release of Psi2Win (but I won't promise when the release is going to come).

joakinen

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 8:11pm »

Hi, I have an XP machine and I have just received the rs-232 link (I'm new in using the link). When I attach the link the COMMS menu appears but when I try the XTSEND hint in the calc it says "MISSING PROC". Why?

joakinen

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 8:25pm »

(cont..) in fact, my COMMS menu lacks the "BOOT" option. The only options are TRANSMIT, RECEIVE, TERM, SETUP, SAVE, LOAD, DIR, ERASE. The manual doesn't say anything about a "boot" option.

Are all comms links the same or do I have an old version?

Regards

joakinen
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 9:06pm »

Hi, I have an XP machine and I have just received the rs-232 link (I'm new in using the link). When I attach the link the COMMS menu appears but when I try the XTSEND hint in the calc it says "MISSING PROC". Why?

Uh, oh! Bad news!

The RS-232-Link is the forerunner of the CommsLink. It is quite rare, in fact!

AFAIK doesn't it not support OPL, or if it does, it may have a different command set.  
Did you get a manual with it?

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2006, 9:08pm by Boris »

joakinen

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:40am »

So i have an oldie! Yes, I got the manual too, a 43 pages manual .  

At the end of the manual (Appendix D) there's a listing of a small PC BASIC program to communicate betwen the IBM PC and the organiser. So it seems that the format for the transfer is plain ASCII. I have used a terminal program in the PC, but I haven't been able to transfer a bit.

There's also a Xmodem transfer mode.

I have tested a DTE-to-DCE (it seems that the Organiser is wired as DCE, transmit is via RxD)and a DTE-to-DTE cable (just in case) but no way.

I checked the signals and there's activity in RD & CTS whet I transfer from Psion, so the interface seems to be ok.

Any ideas to get this interface working?

regards.
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:38am »

Consider it as a plain RS-232-complient interface to plug into a PC (in 1990). It may work from HyperTerminal, but if it doesn't, that's not a proof that it won't do XModem.

Also consider the fact that "PCs" were expensive, slow and noisy in these days (aren't they now as well?)

This may sound courious now, but in these days, you would have to buy the cable to make it work directely from the manufactuer. They didn't care for any standards, e.g. AMIGA 1000 printport still tends to destroy the attached printer if using a 'standard printer cable'....

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:46am by Boris »

joakinen

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:13am »

Done! I managed to make a cable that allows transfer text typed in TERM mode to an HyperTerminal.

To transfer programs or files from the organiser to the PC I type this:

C:\> copy com1 PROC.OPL

and it works. But the opposite is not working yet. I have changed the REOL from <CR> to <CR><LF> so that it doesn't insert a LF in the data, but at the moment the transfer to the organiser is not working. It keeps waiting for more data.

Any ideas to try will be appreciated.
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:16am »

Try adding a SUB (ASCII 26) to the bottom of the file.

Obviously, SUB is used for EOF (end of file) on the CommsLink, and I expect the RS232Link be the same in this respect.

Didn't you mention the XMODEM protocol? If it is supported, try using Hyperterminals Send/Receive File options.

joakinen

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 9:45am »

Hi there. Sorry for not replying. Yes, I managed to get data through the RS232 link in both directions with the XMODEM protocol.  

In fact I carried my XP in my 3-week journey to India & Nepal to note down all the expenses with a program I made and also to take notes about addresses, people I met etc, and also annotate the transfers of pictures from my digital camera to a hard disk so that will be easier to organize the 3000+ pics when I return home.  

All this information is now in the Organiser, I have just arrived, and now I'm going to transfer it to the PC with the RS232 link.  

I will document all the steps so that if any other user has the RS232 interface can do transfers.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.