The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Speech Synthesiser
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speech Synthesiser  (Read 136 times)
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

Speech Synthesiser
« on: Aug 17th, 2018, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Member's request

An experienced Psion Organiser II user informed me recently that there used to be a 'Speech Synthesiser' that was fitted into a case similar to the paralink. Anyone know the whereabouts of one of these gizmos? I'd be interested to see one in action.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
jaap
Power Member

Re: Speech Synthesiser
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2018, 10:30pm »

I knew it existed, and it's been high on my wish list for many years. There was one on eBay several years ago that I was unable to buy (non-uk bids were blocked, and there was not enough time to contact the seller to get him to fix that - I would have paid double what it went for).

In Psion News the speech synthesizer is not mentioned, except in passing in an article about medical uses of the Psion II in the US and Canada:
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/pdffiles/psionnews08.pdf#page=10

I used to have the Currah speech synthesizer for my Sinclair Spectrum. There is a video of it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Y0tW2HcB0

I expect the Psion synth to be similar technology.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2018, 10:41pm by jaap »

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
amgt36

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2018, 2:55pm »

Martin,
I have one of these and used it to speak out Maths calculations to my class of students. If you would like to borrow it, get in touch and we can sort that out, I'm sure.
Dave.
jaap
Power Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2018, 8:48am »

on Dec 2nd, 2018, 2:55pm, amgt36 wrote:
Martin,
I have one of these and used it to speak out Maths calculations to my class of students. If you would like to borrow it, get in touch and we can sort that out, I'm sure.
Dave.

If possible, I would also very much like to borrow it (after Martin) in order to take pictures and put it on my site.

And of course, if you are ever of a mind to sell it, I would be happy to take it off your hands.

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2018, 10:03am »

"oh heck - come on Martin get a grip there's a queue."

Dear Dave

I would like to have a look and try out the Speech Synthesiser. If it would cope with being posted I could paypal you for P&P. If not I could collect, satvnav suggests 90 minutes via Ramsbottom & Bury.

If you send a personal message with your email address I'll send you my postal address.

Yours Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
amgt36

« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2018, 5:56pm »

Good evening, gentlemen.

Why don't we send the Synth on a grand tour?

I'll post it out to you, Martin, 'tracked' etc, etc, if you'd be prepared to send it on to Jaap and ultimately back to me when you've both fiddled and experimented with it. There is a small pamphlet too, which if you are photographing the item for your website, Japp, you may care to scan as well - it's loose bound and easily comes apart.

Take your time, and if I do ultimately decide to part with the unit, I will give you first dibs, Japp.

Dave.
thesourcerer
Mega Power Member

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2018, 2:30am »

The thing I loved about the Speech Synthesiser was that it sounds exactly like Steven Hawkins! I still have the odd chuckle about the possibilities of imitating him, but fortunately my respect for him prevented me from allowing my sense of humour to get the better of me.
The original designer of the Synthesiser said he could make some more if he had the cases. They Paralink cases are adaptable for the purpose, but it is years since I contacted him (I think it was Mike Davies from Rovoreed, but may be wrong).
I suspect that a number of people would want to own one. I regret selling the couple that I had, but apart from novelty value I did not have a useful purpose for them.
They would have a great possibility for leaving anonymous voicemail messages!
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2018, 7:47am by thesourcerer »
Steve
Power Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2018, 10:39am »

I have an email address for Mike Davies if you want to take this idea further. He's still interested in Psion matters.

Steve
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 7th, 2018, 7:15pm »

Dear All

We could 3D print the cases is someone can supply the dimensions.

Sincerely
Martin
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10th, 2018, 7:26pm »

Dear Dave

Your speech synthesiser arrived safely today, check you paypal account for the P&P.

I was going to get it to thank you personally, but I can't find the allopones for Da & ve. RTFM I'm thinking!

I'll post it on to Jaap after Christmas, Jaap can you PM me your postal address.

Sincerely
Martin
amgt36

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10th, 2018, 9:35pm »

Thanks Martin, very generous.

Enjoy experimenting!

Regards,

Dave.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.