The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Message for Jaap - File Master in Jape
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Message for Jaap - File Master in Jape  (Read 100 times)
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

Message for Jaap - File Master in Jape
« on: Aug 14th, 2018, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Message for Jaap - I'm posting here in case others are interested.

Jaap... I realise this was no big deal but I know you like to be kept informed.

I was using Jape to look at the relationship between Widgets File Master and Harvesters Data Organiser. And in the process managed to crash it. Using model LZ64 switching between packs File Master and Data Organiser in B: Jape either froze or gave the error. 'failed to download binary file named packs/hvdo24.opk'

When I tried it again in a new window and using Snap to keep the files safe. It worked OK.

--------

For the record; File Master keeps the 'structure' or 'prompts' in a separate file with the same name and a zero tagged on the end 'File' has 'File0' and 'FileName' creates 'FileNam0'. Data Organiser uses the first record in the file for the 'structure' or 'prompts'. So if you use Data Organiser on an existing or File Master file and then create a 'structure' you lose the data in the first record, actually it is there; it is record zero but you overwrite it when creating 'structure'. Data Organiser lets you specify the data type for each field and alters the KSTAT for each field when adding data which is quite neat. Although there is no checking of data type in an existing file.

Also in Data Organiser the LZ64 is using a different character set so CHR$(127) CHR$(165) don't display correctly. Although they display great in an XP (dot and arrow).

Out of the two I guess File Master displays the data best and Data Organiser KSTAT change means entering data is easier. Both work great on an XP but I can't wait for the LZ File Master to be posted on the Psion Organiser II Pack Images page. Then I can give that a try.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
jaap

Re: Message for Jaap - File Master in Jape
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 10:17am »

on Aug 14th, 2018, 7:57pm, MartinReid wrote:
I was using Jape to look at the relationship between Widgets File Master and Harvesters Data Organiser. And in the process managed to crash it. Using model LZ64 switching between packs File Master and Data Organiser in B: Jape either froze or gave the error. 'failed to download binary file named packs/hvdo24.opk'

When I tried it again in a new window and using Snap to keep the files safe. It worked OK.

The actual file is only loaded once you select the opk file (or sna file). This is in order to reduce the number of things the program needs to load in before running. It looks to me that there was a network glitch (or no network connection at all) when you chose that pack causing it to fail.
I don't think I actually tested this. I'll see if I can make it recover gracefully from this error so you don't have to reload the web page and lose your current state.

on Aug 14th, 2018, 7:57pm, MartinReid wrote:
Both work great on an XP but I can't wait for the LZ File Master to be posted on the Psion Organiser II Pack Images page. Then I can give that a try.

If I had the opk file of FileMaster IV, I'd put it up there. I have added the FileMaster IV manual now, based on the scans you sent me.

Jaap

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

Filemaster IV Manual
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 11:44am »

Dear Jaap

The manual is fantastic... The overview of the menu structures looks better that the manual itself, well done.

I'm going to have a good look through it.

At first glance it looks like Widget Software Ltd had a change of heart between version 2 and version 4. In version 2 they listed the subprocedure used by each 'routine' so that you could copy them if you wanted to use just that routine with your own programmes. The version 4 manual does make reference to using 'Sort, Select, Print can be run directly from the Organiser's top level menu where they act only on the three MAIN files.' which means they must be stand alone because they don't list any subprocedure like in version 2.

Anyway I'll have a better look and see.

Sincerely
Martin

PS Keep your eye out for the mailman I think you are about to be pleasantly surprised.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.