The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Comms Link Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comms Link Problem  (Read 1095 times)
DHeadshot

Comms Link Problem
« on: Jun 17th, 2014, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I recently bought a Comms Link cable for my Psion Organiser II XP (32k) and am having problems getting it to work.  Basically the Protocol item in the setup menu doesn't appear so I have no way of setting the protocol the Psion is to use.  Additionally (and probably as a result of the above issue) the transfers don't let me set a PC filename - they fail or freeze on "Busy..." before then - and the terminal just shows random characters if anything at all!  I have ensured that all other settings are correct for both Psion and PC and have tried both CL and Psi2Win; however, presumably because of the lack of being able to set the protocol, I have not managed to get it to work.  For a demonstration of the problem I even made a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Rx-F3hpwQ .

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?
jaap scherphuis

Email

Re: Comms Link Problem
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 5:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The problem is that what you have is not a Comms Link, but an RS232 Link. This was an early version of the device that was on sale before they came up with the psion protocol and the CL program.

You can still transmit and receive files between the Psion and the PC but on the PC side you cannot use the CL program to do this. Instead you will have to use various DOS commands on the PC to move data from the COM1: port to file or vice versa.

On a DOS command line, you can issue the command
   MODE COM1:
and it will show the current settings of the port. These should match those used in the RS232 link. You can change these com port settings with the mode command too, for example:
  MODE COM1:9600,N,8,1

Type MODE /? to get help.

If you send a file from the Psion, the PC will have to receive that data and write it to file. You can use the copy command for this:
  COPY COM1: proc.opl

Conversely, to receive a file on the Psion, the PC will have to send it through the com port with
  COPY proc.opl COM1:

I have some spare comms links, so I can sell you one if you don't mind paying for the international postage (Netherlands).

The RS232 link is somewhat rare. Could you find out which model version yours is? Assuming the link is attached and booted, you can co to the calculator and calculate PEEKB(8441). Depending on the version, I might be interested to trade.
DHeadshot

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 6:09pm »

Ah, that would explain a lot!
PEEKB(8441)=0
I can get the PC to speak to the Psion via the terminal program (and Windows Terminal on the PC) but not vice versa.  Using "copy con com2:" in DOS to the terminal program on the Psion I can only send blank lines.  I can't receive anything using DOS but that's the case for other RS232 connections too for some reason.  
Sending an OPL file as a text file to the Psion generates a "Device Read Err" error, while sending it as a binary file just hangs.

If I can get this working I'll be happy, otherwise trading may be a good option (though I'd rather not give away my address etc, which would make it tricky)...
jaap scherphuis

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 6:23pm »

on Jun 17th, 2014, 6:09pm, DHeadshot wrote:
PEEKB(8441)=0

Could you please try that again, but press ON/CLEAR a few times first before you go to the calculator to make sure that the internal software is loaded?

If I can get this working I'll be happy, otherwise trading may be a good option (though I'd rather not give away my address etc, which would make it tricky)...

I hope you can get it to work. I think it works best if you choose some handshaking option (e.g. XON), and a long timeout.

You can mail me via the little envelope icon on the left, or via the email address on my website.
http://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
DHeadshot

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 6:34pm »

I tried again, PEEKB(8441) definitely comes out as 0!
jaap scherphuis

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 6:57pm »

on Jun 17th, 2014, 6:34pm, DHeadshot wrote:
I tried again, PEEKB(8441) definitely comes out as 0!

Very weird! Maybe it is a very early one without a proper version number. I am definitely interested in knowing more about it.

If you get the link to work for you, and are not interested in a trade, then I hope you won't mind helping me investigate it a bit more by running a program that copies the link's internal software to PC so that we can take a look at it.
DHeadshot

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 8:00pm »

OK, I tried turning off the timeout in DOS but it's made no difference - DOS interaction is still limited to only new line characters from PC to Psion and nothing in return.  I tried using Xon/Xoff with terminal and it stopped working entirely - nothing can be transferred with that particular protocol.  I can't use hardware handshaking as I don't think my adapter supports it.  I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

(BTW, PEEKB(8441) is still returning 0 - are you sure you have the right address?)
jaap scherphuis

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17th, 2014, 8:50pm »

I don't really know what else to suggest either.

Those serial-to-usb adapters do complicate matters since are not always 100% compatible and may not be able to handle some kinds of handshaking. That said, I had no problem using one with a normal comms link. I now have a laptop that happens to have a proper old serial port so don't use it any more.

Yes, PEEKB(8441) is correct, and should normally give a version number. PEEKB(8440) should give 192, which is an id byte for an rs232/comms link.
DHeadshot

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18th, 2014, 3:42pm »

OK, by using hardware handshaking, I can get a signal from the Psion to the PC (but not vice versa).  Using 2 stop bits, 7 data bits and 600 Baud, I can get some characters through, though they change to other characters in transmission.  At lower Baud rates some come through twice but I have got the occasional correct character through at 300 Baud.  No idea why PC to Psion stops working this way though...

PeekB(8440) IS 192, PeekB(8441) is still 0 though.
Chris Jennings

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20th, 2018, 9:29pm »

I know it's a bit of a thread bump however...

Under windows 10

Download Tera Term - https://osdn.net/projects/ttssh2/releases/

Run software and set to the usual 8,none,1 etc and no control

On the Psion PS232 set to Xmodem

Then on Teraterm use Transfer Xmodem send and the files move great.

Email me for more info if you have any issues
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21st, 2018, 2:45am »

I use Linux, and I'm still waiting for a CommsLink compatible substitute for CL.EXE or Psi2Win... I can't offer a bounty but I'll gladly help test...

MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25th, 2018, 7:35pm »

on Apr 21st, 2018, 2:45am, starhawk wrote:
I use Linux, and I'm still waiting for a CommsLink compatible substitute for CL.EXE or Psi2Win... I can't offer a bounty but I'll gladly help test...

Dear Starhawk

I don't understand it, but did you see this thread?

http://forum.psion2.org/YaBB.pl?board=p2w_support;action=display;num=107 4699167

Sincerely Martin
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25th, 2018, 8:33pm »

I don't run WINE. If you run WINE, you need all the trappings of Windows (antivirus, etc) along with it -- Windows' problems run just as well in WINE as anything else. Seeing as I switched to Linux at least in part to escape all that crap, I have no desire to invite it back with me. At that point I might as well just switch back!

Maybe I'm being greedy, but I want a *native* Linux application.

Also, be aware that Boris can't fulfill his offer (as stated on that page) any more -- primarily by virtue of, he's dead. Unless someone else has those routines in source form, you'd have to reverse-engineer Psi2Win to get them, at this point...
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26th, 2018, 10:40am »

on Apr 25th, 2018, 8:33pm, starhawk wrote:
I don't run WINE. If you run WINE, you need all the trappings of Windows (antivirus, etc) along with it -- Windows' problems run just as well in WINE as anything else. Seeing as I switched to Linux at least in part to escape all that crap, I have no desire to invite it back with me. At that point I might as well just switch back!

Maybe I'm being greedy, but I want a *native* Linux application.

Also, be aware that Boris can't fulfill his offer (as stated on that page) any more -- primarily by virtue of, he's dead. Unless someone else has those routines in source form, you'd have to reverse-engineer Psi2Win to get them, at this point...

Dear Starhawk

Like I say I don't really understand any of this, but you clearly do.

Anyway as long as you have seen the thread, that's my two penn'oth.

As my old fella used to say "sometimes best not to get involved"

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.