The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   LZ64 RAM
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LZ64 RAM  (Read 721 times)
Motion

LZ64 RAM
« on: Feb 4th, 2014, 9:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi! A long time has passed, but I still use my LZ64, and II, for memo files etc. This is probably a glaringly obvious answer: Unfortunately while changing the battery all files in the A: folder deleted, even though the time without battery while changing was no more than about 20-30 seconds. This has never happened before.  

Am I correct in assuming that all the files are irretrievable?

Many thanks for advice.

Motion
Mikesan
Administrator

Re: LZ64 RAM
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 12:17pm »

This is one of the first things explained in the manual.

Packs B & C can be RAM (Read Only Memory - volatile), ROM or Flash (both ostensibly permanent - my stuff has lasted 20+ years O.K.).  However, pack A is always RAM.

RAM is maintained by the battery and to a really small extent by a capacitor in the machine, which is why you can change batteries usually without problems.  However, these machines are old and RAM was never really a safe place to keep long-term data.

The best thing to do in future, as I can confirm that yes, your data is now gone for good, is to back it up to the PC via a Comms Link if you have one, or to a Datapak.  RAMPaks & Flashpacks work great too and are quicker and use less power.

Checkout 'The Sourcerer' in the Marketplace section if you don't have any of these methods for backing up your data.
thesourcerer
Mega Power Member

Email

Re: LZ64 RAM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 10:19am »

Just a point worth noting, that Rampacks are NOT a safe way to store important data. If the internal battery goes flat the data will be lost when removed from the organiser. They are also susceptible to power surges e.g. when connecting Comms Link or topslot devices.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.