The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   LZ64 RAM
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LZ64 RAM  (Read 672 times)
Steve

LZ64 RAM
« on: Sep 9th, 2013, 1:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I should know the answer to this but I'm afraid time has dulled what bit of grey matter I had!

I've recently dug out my LZ64 and on playing around with it I see that it only shows up approx 22000 bytes of free RAM. Now I know this has something to do with the manufacture of the item, but will someone throw a bit of light on the matter for me?

Thanks,

Steve
Sora
Administrator

Re: LZ64 RAM
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2013, 11:23pm »

Is there any other software on the psion?

The psion operating system uses and reserves about 10000 bytes which you can't save to. So for it to report 22000 bytes free (assuming it has no data on it), then that would mean it is a normal LZ which only had 32KB of Ram in total.

Psiora - Psion II Emulator by Scott Richards
New download coming soon...
Steve

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13th, 2013, 3:07pm »

If I write a short opl procedure, create a file and use the SPACE command, it shows free RAM as approximately 55000 bytes, which ties in with what you say,  but if I use FREE in the calculator it shows approximately 22000! Ive also used the model checker on the old Psion site, and that confirms it is an LZ64, plus it is badged as such. Strange or what?
Sora
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2013, 8:52pm »

Yes that is correct for a normal LZ64.

The SPACE command returns the number of free bytes on the current device.
where as FREE, returns the number of free bytes in the working area.

In an LZ64, the additional 32KB is page swapped which means it can only be used for file storage, not for temporary variables or the system.

So FREE returns the memory available to the system on the first 32KB of the device. and SPACE returns all the memory available for saving on for the entire 64KB of the device.

Psiora - Psion II Emulator by Scott Richards
New download coming soon...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.