The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Organizer II,  Comms-Link and Mac
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Organizer II,  Comms-Link and Mac  (Read 1817 times)
gilparis

Organizer II,  Comms-Link and Mac
« on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

thank you to this site and those that drive.

As re-owner of an Organizer II, I seek any information that I could
1 - connect successfully my Organizer on my Mac using the Comms Link cable (RS232-DB25) on a USB port.
I tried with a DB-25 cable at one end (plugged into the Comms-Link) + DB-25/DB-9 adapter + DB-9/USB  at the other end (connected to the Mac, with OS 9 Extension provided with the cable, installed). The launch of the Comms-Link software (Comms_Link) with Classic on the Mac displays an error message ("system unrecoverable error - cannot load default settings") and does not seem to detect the Organizer ...
I remember being able to connect, a dozen years ago, on a PowerBook 100 with OS 7; but I can't remember how ... It was not then USB ports.

2 - print from my Organizer and through the Comms-Link with  
--- Canon i560 printer (USB or parallel Centronic-36): I tried with a cable DB-25/Centronic 36 without success.  
Maybe I have not found the right settings for transmission on Organizer (baud rate, parity, bits, stop, hand, protocol, echo, width, timeout, Réole, REOF, RTRN, Teol, teof, ttrn). ..
--- Apple StyleWriter 2500 (Mini Din 8-pin !)- I haven't yet found any adaptator.

I read FAQ and users'posts without success
thank you for help
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:21pm by gilparis »
Boris
Administrator

Re: Organizer II,  Comms-Link and Mac
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:41am »

1) Unfortunately I don't own a Mac, so I can't help with the software. But if you have an USB-to-serial-converter, you should at least see the serial port in your system configuration. If you do, also the software should detect the port (at least I hope so). If it still doesn't work, the problem is probably your cable. There are 'null-modem cables' (both sides with a male plug) which will not work.
If you can't get the (very old) comms_link software functional, you could at least use some terminal program using the XMODEM protocol.

2) Abandon all your hopes! You need a printer with a serial port, and AFAIK such printers are no longer on the market. You can't use your USB-converter in this case. The only thing that might work (don't count on it) is a ParaLink (looks like a commslink but provides a parallel port).

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
gilparis

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2009, 10:54am »

Thanks for your help, Boris

1) I'll check my configuration soon (the cable is not a 'null-modem cable').
I need to read the Comms-Link manuel about using 'some terminal program using the XMODEM protocol'. For now I don't know what is such a terminal program ...

2) I think that the port (Mini Din 8-pin) of the Apple StyleWriter is a serial one. But I can't get any adaptator from this Apple port to the DB25 (or DB9) of the Comms-Link...
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2009, 2:55pm by gilparis »
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2009, 12:21pm »

XMODEM is another file transfer protocol. It is not as comfortable as the (proprietary) PSION protocol, but it is supported by almost all terminal programs. I bet there is some terminal program included with Mac OS (like Hyperterm that comes with Windows), otherwise a google seach will definitely help you to download some freeware.

2) I think that the port (Mini Din 8-pin) of the Apple StyleWriter is a serial one. But I can't get any adaptator from this Apple port to the DB25 (or DB9) of the Comms-Link...

see: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/datacom/mac_serial.html
(information is of 1998, but pinout should not have changed in between - if it is still the same port)

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2009, 12:28pm by Boris »

mooie

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 11:16pm »

Hi, I have a newly acquired LZ and would like to connect it to my Mac running OS X 10.7.  I'm OK sorting out the physical connection (Comms-link to USB) but I'd be grateful if somebody could give me a few pointers regarding software and commands.  All I wish to do is transfer (text and OPL) files between the Mac and the LZ and vice versa. Many thanks.
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 11:40pm »

The FAQ article How do I use the CommsLink with a PC? describes the procedure, which is the same for Mac and PC.

However, the provided mac software is very old, and I have no idea if it works on modern Macs. Please try and report back.

If you don't succeed, you can always use the XMODEM protocol that is supported by every serial terminal software ever written.

mooie

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 5:29pm »

Thanks.  Unfortunately pre-OS X software won't now run on latter versions OS X as the Classic Environment (an emulator for legacy software) is no longer supported.  Xmodem it is.  Is there a simple guide to using Xmodem with an Org2?  I still need to buy a Comms-Link of course (I'm waiting for one to come up on eBay - so far only ones bundled in with other equipment have turned up, but I guess it's only a matter of time).  If there isn't a guide available, and if I have any success (when I eventually get the hardware sorted), then I'll post something here myself on the forum.
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 8:11pm »

Yes, I was afraid that the software would be outdated.  

I assume you have already managed to install the driver for your USB2Serial adapter.
What you need now is a serial terminal app capable of running the XMODEM protocol (asking google I got the impression that goSerial is probably suited).
Set it up to use the serial port provided by the driver at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and RTS/CTS flow control.

On the Organiser:
  • Go to the main menu.
  • Press [ON] to make sure the device is booted in.
  • Press [UP], and select COMMS.
  • Choose the SETUP option.  
  • Press [DOWN] until you get to the HANDSHAKE parameter.  
  • Press [LEFT] until setting reads RTS.
  • Press [DOWN] once more to get to the PROTOCOL parameter.  
  • Press [LEFT] until setting reads XMODEM.  
  • Press [MODE], and choose EXIT.

The SETUP options are saved in memory, and persist when you remove the CommsLink - they are only reset by a cold boot (e.g. organiser left without battery).

Tell your Mac program to receive a text file with XMODEM protocol.

On the Organiser select TRANSMIT, FILE and press [EXE].
If you don't receive an error now, you have just copied MAIN.ODB (the file used by SAVE/FIND) to your Mac.

If you succeed, please report back so we can create another FAQ topic "How do I use the CommsLink with a Mac?"

mooie

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15th, 2012, 11:43am »

> If you succeed, please report back so we can create another FAQ topic "How do I use the CommsLink with a Mac?"
Will do, just as soon as I get hold of a Comms-Link that is.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.