The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   repeating buttons
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: repeating buttons  (Read 423 times)
UnrealNeil

repeating buttons
« on: May 7th, 2003, 11:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have 2 LZ64's
One has a very worn keypad and it's hard to read all the buttons, but works great!!
One has a very nice keypad in good order, but many of the keys repeat.  Pressing the key lightly gives no input, pressing a little harder gives 2 or more characters.  There is an extremly fine line for these keys; a sweet spot; that is extremly hard to get, which will produce the one character I want.

Is there anyway to dismantle the unit and improve this?
Has anyone had this problem before?
How did you fix it?

Zac Schroff
Power Member

Re: repeating buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 7th, 2003, 4:45pm »

It may be a setting issue.  There are two settings which control the keyboard operation, and the debouncing is actualy software (the keyboard is scanned by the free running timer handler, so everything it does is in sync with the advance of the free running timer)...!

pokeb $0077,keyboard_delay_to_repeat  
pokeb $0078,keyboard_delay_between_repeat  

The delays are expressed in 20Hz intervals, so decimal 20 = one second.  One through 255 seem to work as expected; zero seems to mean 256 (this is also an expectation, but requires a bit of ML familiarity to explain).

You may have a machine with the delay to repeat set very short (1 perhaps, so only 20ms down until repeat).  Set it to a longer value and see if it helps any.  My own preferences are below...

pokeb $0077,$05
pokeb $0078,$01

These settings give 250ms down before repeat, and then 20 repeats per second until release.

Tact is for those who are not witty enough to be sarcastic.
UnrealNeil

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2003, 10:08am »

Hmmm that seems to have gotton it.
I tried 07 for the delay and it seems to be better.
Is there a command that would have let me see what the setting was before I changed it?
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2003, 12:20pm »

read the previous values:

PEEKB(addr%) returns the value of a memory cell as integer.
As these values are usually specified in Hex, you may want to use the HEX$ function (esp. for values above 9):

PRINT HEX$(PEEKB(addr%))

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.