The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Message for Jaap
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Message for Jaap  (Read 74 times)
MartinReid
Mega Power Member

Message for Jaap
« on: Oct 13th, 2019, 1:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Jaap (and others interested)

Have you seen this UK ebay listing?

Marconi MASC encryption fill gun with datapak (based on Psion Organiser II LZ)

eBay item number:  223700531090

Anyone know what it is?

Sincerely
Martin
thesourcerer
Mega Power Member

Email

Re: Message for Jaap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2019, 9:26pm »

Hi Martin, I had already alerted Jaap to this. MASC was the Marconi (something - possibly athletic?) and Social Club for Marconi employees. I’ve come across the datapacks before and I think they were for barcode or magnetic card reading for membership. An ex employee confirmed that (possibly somewhere on here) quite some time ago. Despite the expensive and intriguing appearance, I don’t think it was any great shakes. It can’t have been cheap to get the RO2 cases branded, but it may well have been a gesture by Psion/SES for some reason.  
Just checked back, looks like I was off track (although I distinctly remember someone mentioning Marconi Social Club!). See message 5th Jan 2011, by MartinG7MRV (a guest user).
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2019, 9:35pm by thesourcerer »
thesourcerer
Mega Power Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2019, 9:54pm »

Thinking about it I suspect it is more likely it was intended for encryption of radios (MASC probably stands for something like Marconi Advanced Scanning Code or the like), and it may be coincidental that the ex employee remembered the same or similar hardware being used in the Marconi Social Club, but simply to log/store members details, via a barcode reader or magnetic tape reader. That would make more sense. I thought at the time that I was told that the term Fill Gun seemed a bit weird for a simple Social Club membership!
jaap
Power Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2019, 9:24am »

I already own one of those Fill Gun packs, though I haven't really looked into it. I don't think I'll bid on the auction, cause I'm not too fussed about the organiser or the branded RO2 case.

Thanks for the extra info.

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.