The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Just a quick thought/question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just a quick thought/question  (Read 65 times)
starhawk
Power Member

Just a quick thought/question
« on: Sep 18th, 2018, 1:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So the built-in keyboard on the Org2 is alphabetical...

...is there such a thing, or an easy way to make such a thing, as a QWERTY keyboard for an Org2? I find alphabetical keyboards annoying at best.
jaap

Re: Just a quick thought/question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2018, 9:43am »

There's none that I  know of.

It is theoretically possible to change the keyboard. Here are three ways I just thought of:

1. Physically wire your keys to the Psion's circuit board. This is a lot of work for an ugly bodge.

2. Reorder/relabel the keys on the Psion's keyboard. Then provide a new keyboard layout look-up table in memory. See the system variable bta_tabl (205E/5F):
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/sysvars.htm
You can rearrange every key except for On, because that key is hard-wired to switch on the machine. You might be able to swap out the Clear part of that key, for example turning it into an On/EXE key.

3. Connect a keyboard through the top slot. This is tricky, because you need to write your own driver software. It would probably have to extend the keyboard poll routine (bta_poll - 205A/5B), to read the actions from the keyboard via the top slot and return new values representing those new keys being pressed, and extend the keyboard translate routine (bta_tran - 205C/5D) to convert those new keys into the associated characters of that keyboard.

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
starhawk
Power Member

Re: Just a quick thought/question
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2018, 6:35pm »

...and here I was hoping for a truly easy way.

Oh well
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.