The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Jape - Javascript Psion Emulator
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jape - Javascript Psion Emulator  (Read 811 times)
jaap

Jape - Javascript Psion Emulator
« on: Sep 3rd, 2017, 1:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Years ago I wrote a Psion II emulator in Java though I never released it to the public. I have now rewritten it in Javascript, so that it can be played with directly on a web page without having to install software. So I can now present to you:

** Jape - Javascript Psion Emulator **
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/jape/jape.htm

You can choose almost any Psion II model, and choose from a large selection of software packs. You can also load snapshots, and I've made most of my games available in snapshot format.

Jaap
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017, 1:50pm by jaap »

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
Mikesan
Administrator

Re: Jape - Javascript Psion Emulator
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2017, 6:04pm »

Wow! Very nice emulator Jaap!
I shall now go off and play with it.
. . .  
It's fantastic!  Feature request (I see that you have some top slot ones in the pipeline):  Can we have the BCR (Bar Code Reader)?  My bootable pak BCDATA runs - in English or Japanese, but I think that the Missing Proc would be BAR$:?  Even if one had to type in the code value it would still be quite good.

This emulator will basically remove the need to actually buy the hardware!  Everyone can now have an Organiser II in their pocket!

Of course, the next thing to do would be to port it to Android, or iOS and suddenly, the Organiser II is back in the physical world again
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017, 6:46pm by Mikesan »
jaap

« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2017, 1:16pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2017, 6:04pm, Mikesan wrote:
Of course, the next thing to do would be to port it to Android, or iOS and suddenly, the Organiser II is back in the physical world again

FYI, it should already work with a touch screen, so if you open it on your mobile's browser you can play with it there. I've tried it in Safari and Chrome on iOS.

I'm not sure how to make top slot devices work. Loading in the top slot device software will be easy, but the way such software controls the device to interact with the world outside is another matter. The Comms Link for example makes extensive use of some interrupts, ports and timers on the processor that I have not implemented at all. The bar code reader is an easier proposition though, as there is only one simple input to deal with. I would certainly try that before the comms link.

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2017, 8:29pm »

Dear Jaap

What can I say? It's fantastic. I'd ask you how you did it but probably wouldn't understand the answer.

You must have had a smile on your face when you finished the 'contrast' wheel. it's perfect, makes me smile every time I use it. What with Olivier and his USB Comms Link and you with your web site and now Jape. It's as good as it was in the 80's.

----------------------------------------
What can a lowly user like me contribute? Not much really but attached is a land surveying programme 'we' wrote.

LandPAK.OPK contains all the procedures needed.
LandExplained.PDF outlines the procedurs and a worked example for those interested.
Set4Land.SNA sets up an LZ64 with top line menu and config files etc.

Anyway surveyors were impressed with it back in the day, Not as impressive as Jape the emulator though.
-----------------------------------------
Sorry everybody file too big for forum. If there is anyone interested I'll return an email.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2017, 10:36pm »

Dear Jaap

I've been using Jape, still very inpressed..

Is it possible to get 'snapshot' to keep the data files saved in A: and keep them in the local .sna file ready to restore them when the snapshot is 're'imported and run.

I notice that some of your snapshots have 'data' (odb) files as well as the opl's. The data files created in my opl programmes are there for the duration of each session but not restored with the imported .sna file for a subsequent session.

I hope I explained this adequately

Yours sincerely
Martin Reid
jaap

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2017, 12:13am »

on Sep 4th, 2017, 10:36pm, MartinReid wrote:
Is it possible to get 'snapshot' to keep the data files saved in A: and keep them in the local .sna file ready to restore them when the snapshot is 're'imported and run.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean to do, but no. A snapshot file contains the entire internal state of the organiser (mainly the whole RAM, but also the processor registers, display contents), excluding packs. Running a snapshot resets the entire state and it would be very difficult to do this selectively. This is also why snapshots made on one model cannot be run on another. Even running on a different ROM version is not guaranteed to work reliably, though this is not disallowed by the program.

You can save data to packs to keep between sessions. Unfortunately there is a pack writing bug that I'm having trouble fixing, so you can only reliably write to 16k datapaks for now.

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2017, 8:15am »

Sorry Jaap, It was me - I was not doing it right. It works perfectly. More practise needed, for others watching I was not creating the snapshot [Snap!] correctly and reinstating an 'old' .sna file that was incomplete.

Sincerely and in awe
Martin Reid
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7th, 2017, 1:42pm »

Dear Jaap

Been using 'Jape' to simulate a quiz I'm writing. Works like a treat, fantastic.

You do say on the bottom of the help page that you are open to suggestions.

On the current configuration 'panel' where you have - choose model, packs and snapshots - could you add an option to 'grab' the current date and time and set the Organiser clock. Better than having to do it every time you load a snapshot. I appreciate the 'snapshot' keeps the date and time that the [Snap!] was made. However it would be great if, when reinstating it you had the option to automatically update it to 'current time'.

Anyway just a thought
Sincerely
Martin Reid
jaap

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2017, 2:17pm »

So you want a button that will set the Psion's clock automatically to the current time (taken from your computer's clock)? That should be relatively easy to do. I'll put it on my todo list.
Thanks,
jaap

Jaap Scherphuis
jaap

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7th, 2017, 10:43pm »

Martin,
A "Set Clock" button has been added.  
jaap

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 8th, 2017, 10:19am »

Jaap

Fantastic... and quick...

I havn't tried it at home yet but on this machine the [Set Clock] button is 'greyed out'. Could that be the browser?

Google Chrome Version 61.0.3163.79 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Sincerely
Martin
jaap

« Reply #11 on: Sep 8th, 2017, 10:30am »

on Sep 8th, 2017, 10:19am, MartinReid wrote:
Jaap

Fantastic... and quick...

I havn't tried it at home yet but on this machine the [Set Clock] button is 'greyed out'. Could that be the browser?

Google Chrome Version 61.0.3163.79 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Sincerely
Martin

It's only active when the Psion is switched on. I did this for some technical reasons, but thinking about it now it is a bit unnecessary. I can just have it wait to set the clock till it is next switched on.

EDIT:  
Sorry, I messed something up You're right it isn't working. I'll fix it tonight.

EDIT 2:
It should work now.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017, 6:12pm by jaap »

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 8th, 2017, 9:09pm »

Sorry Jaap,

I feel bad.. but its not working here..

Even after setting current configuration LZ64 - installing an OPK and SNA then trying to [Set Clock]

Sorry Martin
jaap

« Reply #13 on: Sep 8th, 2017, 9:16pm »

Your browser is probably using a cached version of the script instead of downloading the new version. I've now tweaked the web page so that the browser should realise that the script files have changed. Can you try again?

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 8th, 2017, 11:32pm »

Jaap

Yes its working on my tablet

Set Configuration to LZ64, loaded a OPK, then an SNA - which set the clock to that time when the [Snap!] was made. Then [Set Clock] which reset the clock from the computer (23:27) BUT daylight saving on 'Jape' moved the time to 00:27!

Kind of working?

Sincerely Martin
jaap

« Reply #15 on: Sep 9th, 2017, 5:43am »

On the LZ/LZ64 it now uses Daylight Saving time when setting the system clock.

Jaap Scherphuis
MartinReid
Power Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 9th, 2017, 9:54am »

Jaap

Works great on my desktop PC

Again thank you

Martin
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: Sep 19th, 2017, 11:27pm »

Hey, Jaap, I think you've created a really stalwart app here!

But I have a usability request.

Would it be possible to use Paste (as in CTRL-V in Windows) to paste a program into the editor?  It currently doesn't seem to work that way.

Any of us that began using the Organiser II - especially the XP variants, realised that a two and even four line display wasn't an easy space to navigate in and so we moved to an emulator or some PC-based text editor.  We translated and debugged over a Comms Link from that point.

Of course, one can still go down that route, but for people perhaps trying the emulated machine and this forum out for the first time, an easy way to paste in examples that people have left on the forum or indeed anywhere else it might be a good incentive to get them to play around.
jaap

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20th, 2017, 7:10am »

Hi Mike,
That is the next thing I'm working on - where pasting or drag/dropping a text file will stuff the text into the Psion's keyboard buffer. I haven't got it working yet, as there seem to be some subtle differences between the various models which causes some characters to get lost.
I'm a bit busy with unrelated things right now, but I'll work on it again asap.
jaap

Jaap Scherphuis
joakinen

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20th, 2017, 12:19pm »

I am very impressed... Contratulations! It's a good way of keeping code on files on the local computer.  

Many thanks for your good work!

@joakinen
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.