The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   New Domain Name
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Domain Name  (Read 974 times)
starhawk
Power Member

New Domain Name
« on: Feb 15th, 2014, 1:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since mere mortal users can't reply in the News forum... here is a place.

I don't know much of anything about coding -- I know a little QBASIC and I can do up simple HTML if I'm looking at a list of tags and what they do -- but if there are other ways I can help, let me know -- I'll be quite glad to pitch in!

Surely I can't be the only person who is on every day... (I think I might be, tho...)
Steve

Re: New Domain Name
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 7:49pm »

I look in every day, but it seems a bit quiet these days. I get the impression there aren't many people on. It was very much Boris' baby wasn't it? And I guess most other folks have busy lives. I'm retired with all the time in the world. Wish we had this site back when Psion was in its heyday.
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 4:49pm »

That's great    the more the merrier.  As time permits, I'll set up hosting, then install phpBB.  If you are thinking of helping out, then, as I mentioned earlier, there will be a big task that will involve literally copying old posts and putting them in to the new BBS, together with links.

As YaBB is so old, I doubt there is a script to do it  .  If anyone knows of ways to automate more of this?  

Otherwise, I'll have to get the list of members and create new accounts for them, then fill their posts in.

Then there is the look and feel of the site...  I like Boris' colour scheme, but I think it needs to be able to reflect the expanded range of machines that can be talked about.  Perhaps it could be as simple as four machine icons instead of just one and a change of text?

As for there being not many visitors, well actually it has always been a bit on and off - even when Boris was running it.  I suspect the reasons Steve suggests are likely culprits.

There are still other resources on the Internet, but they are dwindling, so I'm just looking to see if this would be the right way to go...
Steve

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 8:20pm »

Mike, I have little on no understanding of how the hosting of such a site works, so we are in your hands here. However, I agree with you that Boris' colour scheme is appealing.

You mention dwindling resources on the net and maybe it's possible to incorporate some of what is left into this forum? Having said that, I do think this is the most comprehensive I have found.

I for one appreciate all that is done for us enthusiasts, so thank you.
Steve

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2014, 12:44pm »

Thinking about what Mike said, I reckon a set of icons would be a good idea. Also, would it be possible to have a separate section with the the downloads in? At the moment, it's not always easy to locate the routine you want.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.