The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Schematics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Schematics  (Read 2013 times)
starhawk
Power Member

Schematics
« on: Sep 26th, 2013, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just saw again the late Boris' (may his soul rest in eternal peace) call for schematics...

I can probably work something up... but I'll need a little help. A couple questions...

(1) does anyone have a DEAD Org2 that I could dissect for this? I can probably pay shipping if it's sent from the US.

(2) does anyone have any idea how many layers the PCB is? If it's a two-layer board (front/back) then this is doable. If not... well, wires will be missing and there's not much point in that.

I think I can work out the rest myself. I'll do the schematics by hand at first and then draw them up in a professional graphics program I have, called CorelDRAW.

EDIT: pressed the post button and realized one other thing... if someone can x-ray the PCB and get me scans or prints of the x-ray film, then I can decipher a multi-layer PCB... the Datamath Calculator Museum has done this with some of their old calcs and the results are pretty good. But I don't have an x-ray machine or access to one -- and my electronic skills aren't good enough to build one...
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2013, 5:31pm by starhawk »
starhawk
Power Member

Re: Schematics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2013, 1:06am »

At the suggestion of a user on another forum (where I had an ad looking for dead Org2's) -- I have written PSION which still exists, if only as a part of Motorola.

I'm pretty sure the answer will be "heck no!" but I thought it might be worth a try...

To: AHD.support@psion.com
Subject: [my real name] -- Inquiry re: PSION Organizer II
Body:
Hello!

I am part of a very small online community at http://archive.psion2.org/org2/org2.htm (with forums at http://forum.psion2.org/YaBB.pl). We are an international group of retrotech enthusiasts centered around the PSION Organizer II.

We are looking for schematic diagrams of the Organizer II for not-for-profit maintenance and repair purposes. We would also like, if possible, schematic diagrams for the Organizer II's peripherals, such as RAMPaks, FlashPaks, and CommsLink cables, which we would use to build our own (and possibly sell, at approximate cost of materials and shipping, to other Organizer II enthusiasts). It would be incredible if we could also have copies of the source code for the firmware in the Organizer II and some RAMPaks/FlashPaks (specifically those which do not come with commercial software built in), but I recognize that this is highly unlikely.

To avoid misunderstandings -- all of this information would be made public on the Org2 site at the link above, with proper attribution, and would be marked specifically as non-commercial use only.

I would like to know if PSION would consider giving us these schematic diagrams and firmware source code for the purposes outlined above, with the given conditions.

Sincerely,

[my real name]
[my email address]
starhawk @ PSION Org2 Forums
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2016, 11:57pm »

Assuming that there's still people (other than me) hanging around here --

Does anyone know how many layers the PSION Org2 motherboard has...?

I suspect, given the age, that it's a two-layer board -- in which case a multimeter set to continuity and my eyeballs are sufficient to work out the connections, provided I'm sufficiently bored -- but if it's more than two layers that will cause problems, because I'll have to test each lead against nearly every other lead on the entire board (not happening) to ferret out what's connected to what where.
Jaap Scherphuis

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 8th, 2016, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Both PCBs in the Psion have printing on both sides, with holes that connect the front and back circuits, but no internal layers.

A long time ago I tried working out the schematic for the main board, and it was fairly straightforward, except for the bits hidden underneath the chips, and those can be inferred most of the time.  The keyboard side of the board is mostly empty so any front-back connections are easily noticed there.

I was more confused by the power board, as I had no clue about what capacitors do.

I have a couple of broken Psions that I can completely dismantle and take pictures of, if you wish.
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 8th, 2016, 4:03pm »

I'd have to physically possess them... right now I have no money, not even for shipping
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26th, 2016, 12:36pm »

To: Starhawk.  I have a 16k XP that has stopped working (again ).  If you PM me (I'm pretty sure that part of the forum still works..) with your address, I'll see what I can do about sending it to you.
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26th, 2016, 2:59pm »

I tried. I'm not sure it worked, but I tried...

I've noticed that the forum has been extremely slow, lately, as well... any idea what might be causing that?
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Jul 1st, 2016, 8:02pm »

Hmm, not slow here...
Internal mail used to work too...
Anyway, please contact me via the link in the help section on this forum Starhawk.  Thanks!
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 1st, 2016, 9:48pm »

Haplessly followed the directions there to send a PM...

...it worked...

...but it sent to TheBot. Can you log in as him/her/it?
theBot
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10th, 2016, 11:39am »

Thanks!  I'll try and post it tomorrow!  Not sure which will be best way yet, DHL, FedEx, Post Office, etc...
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10th, 2016, 7:19pm »

USPS is the cheapest and best, in my experience. FedEx and UPS are waaaaaaaaaaay inflated.

Protip: if you're in like California or wherever, get a USPS flat rate box. You'll pay less and it has, er, other benefits -- tracking, insurance, etc. They're also free to nab... not to /ship/ mind you, but you don't pay for the box proper, just the shipping, unlike that nasty ReadyPost stuff (don't buy that).

This is a great site for printing shipping labels (you need to be a part of Paypal to use it tho) --> https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

As for DHL... /please/ don't use DHL. I freakin' hate 'em. They take bloody F O R E V E R to move anything anywhere. They are actually slower than Media Mail!
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14th, 2016, 4:54pm »

Posted today, using standard Royal Mail from the UK, so let's hope it gets to you in a timely fashion  
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14th, 2016, 9:21pm »

I'm not very familiar with the UK Postal System, but if it's anything like the US's... it might be a couple /months/...

Time will tell.
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19th, 2016, 8:19pm »

Typically Royal Mail is pretty quick.  I don't know if you have ever followed the BBC's Top Gear, but the Royal Mail beat the trio in a race, the length of the entire UK, with them using supercars
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21st, 2016, 3:39pm »

I'm getting network timeouts submitting posts now. Not my connection.

Anyway -- got the PSION this morning. I am highly impressed with the Royal Mail's promptness around here, that same package would take literally multiple months to deliver... if it arrived at all.

Alas, I won't be able to start work on it today, as today is errands-day. Tomorrow looks promising, though...
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2016, 5:38am »

...well, actually, I *did* start today.

Went until I got cross-eyed, which did not take long. This thing is a mess inside!

...does anyone know a dang thing about that gate array? (Philips PCF0330T/016) If someone somehow miraculously has a labeled pinout for it, per its use in the Org2, I'd *really* be helped by getting my mitts on that.
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:26pm »

Does anyone on here have a copy of the Org2 Technical Reference Manual...? I found a post somewhere that specifies that it has the circuit diagrams in it...

...some site called RetroIsle has the manual, but all the pic links are dead because it's a mirror of the old Org2 site -- I suspect someone was lazy with the hosting and didn't mirror them (or just didn't scrape them in the first place...)
Jaap Scherphuis

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 3rd, 2016, 2:41am »

The electronic version of techref manual did not have pictures in it (except maybe for some ascii art here and there). The physical versions of the techref seem to have been just printouts of the ascii file, but with additional separately printed figures (e.g. Figure 2.1 and 3.1 were the schematics). I have never had a copy of these separate figures, so they were never part of the org2 site.

http://www.jaapsch.net/psion/tech.htm
http://www.jaapsch.net/psion/techlz.htm

The retroisle pages are broken in various ways, but the missing images seem to just be navigation buttons and such.
Jaap Scherphuis

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 3rd, 2016, 3:02am »

By the way, when Boris took the ascii files of the tech ref and turned them into the nicely formatted html version here:
http://archive.psion2.org/org2/techref/sysboard.htm
he slightly edited it. He took out this sentence:

Reference should be made while reading this section to the following separate data :-
     1.  Fig 2.1 System board schematic diagram
     2.  HD6303X Microprocessor family users manual
     3.  HD44780 LCD driver users manual

The original ascii version here:
http://www.jaapsch.net/psion/tech02.htm#p2.1
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13th, 2016, 8:28pm »

Found this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162167153645

...that's a LOT of stuff!

I've reached out to the seller, to see if maybe in that fat stack of stuff (or elsewhere) they have a print copy of the techref manual. My hopes are not high, but we'll see what happens...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.