The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   General
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Re: Post mortem memories
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Post mortem memories  (Read 940 times)
Phelbs

Email

Post mortem memories
« on: Feb 27th, 2004, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all, congratulations for the Psion Organiser II Homepage, it's a great job and a nice site.  

To get to the heart of the matter some questions concerning LZ model :  
- Does the org 2 erases its memory on a cold boot ? I mean does it write blank bytes in the whole RAM as it checks its size, or in a init stage. I haven't read it but I'd like a precision.  

- Does exist a program, that could dump the entire RAM elsewhere, on Commslink or in a Datapak / Rampak ? It'd be fine if it was a bootable one.  
(I looked to 'backall', 'sendpack' and 'romsend' but none of them seems to do this. 'Backall' certainly use the pack A system size. 'Sendpack' too and even don't read pack A. And 'romsend' as it says read the rom not the ram.)  

- Where can we find system board electronic diagram ?  

Well, you guess it, I want to (I MUST) recover data after a nice "TRAP 987E  9537"...  
They're more important than the org 2 itself so I'm ready for an open-heart intervention.  
For the moment it's in deep coma, blinking every 34 minutes. The battery wasn't removed, so I bank on data are still in memory.  

Any idea or other approach to solve this ?  

(An other I thought about, much more difficult, risky and expensive, would be to draw up raw data with a custom-made probe directly put down on the RAM chip. It'd be driven by another MCU, like a PIC. Hmm   )
Zac Schroff
Power Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 3:04pm »

Would a 'trap rampack' possibly work here, after the original trap has occurred?  You'd have to do a little work to create one, in another organiser...

http://forum.psion2.org/files/fileform.txt

Tact is for those who are not witty enough to be sarcastic.
Phelbs

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 3:55pm »

That sounds very interesting
The Rom version is 4.5 so it may work.
Beyond doing a little job I have to found a LZ and a Rampak but that's the price for not having done enough back-up.

Did you (or anybody) succeeded using 'Trap Rampack' ?

Thanks for the tip.
Zac Schroff
Power Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 4:08pm »

I have not.

From the description, you'd not be able to use the RAMpack to access the files afterward : you would have to scan it as if it were main memory and find the file block, then parse that to find your data.  The file formats above would help with that.  The system variables table will help you to find the right space to read...

http://archive.psion2.org/org2/sysvars.htm

... and you'll need to use the pack linear access calls (PK$*) to do that (don't access the pack for files!)...

http://archive.psion2.org/org2/mcosintr.htm

It's not likely to be easy.  You don't have even a recent backup?  It might be simpler.

If somebody knows a better way, please speak up!

Phelbs

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 5:46pm »

I see, but I don't worry too much about it. If I can send the whole of the dump via comms it'd be perfect.
In fact I'm not searching to restore the org 2 in the state it had before the crash. I even don't search to rebuild the structure of the file system. I just want to recover some pieces of ASCII in the 12 kBytes of the main file. It wouldn't be too hard to find and sort them in a good PC text editor.
In fact it's a harsh solution for a harsh problem.

on Feb 27th, 2004, 4:08pm, Zac Schroff wrote:
It's not likely to be easy.  You don't have even a recent backup?  It might be simpler.

I've not, and nothing to say for my defence except..
-It crashed 3 days after I noted down "unique and no recollectable" data in it so.. usual bkp shouldn't save me the problem.
-I didn't imagine that a great software like Psi2Win could exist and make frequent back-up easier.

I've definitely lost maybe 4-5 KBytes because a few org2 crashes in 15 years, can't say the same about PC  
Zac Schroff
Power Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 7:26pm »

In that case, the trap rampack and the sendpack utility should help (unless it's an LZ64 -- in this case, your data may be in one of the banks which is not dumped to the pack).

Phelbs

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 10:40pm »

It's not a LZ64 so all data should be recovered.
It could be easier than expected, I'll keep you informed if it's worked or not.
Thank you very much for these advice.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2004, 11:00pm by Phelbs »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.