The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Frequently Asked Questions
   FAQ - Packs

Help - I cannot format my flashpack!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help - I cannot format my flashpack!  (Read 1951 times)
Boris
Administrator

Help - I cannot format my flashpack!
« on: Nov 19th, 2004, 5:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tried to use the FLASH menu to format my flashpack, but I constantly receive a DEVICE error!  
What am I doing wrong?

In order to format a flashpack, there must be another pack containing the flash driver in the second slot. This is because the driver software needs to be copied back onto the freshly formatted pack. Usually the other pack will be a flashpack as well, but it can also be a RAM- or DATApack.

There are two ways to format a flashpack without having another one:

A. You can use Psi2Backup to upload an image of an empty flashpack onto your pack.
B. You can prepare a non-flash pack as flash formatter pack to enable formatting.

A. Upload an empty pack image:

1. Download Psi2Backup.

2. Insert the flashpack to be formatted in the lower slot (C).

3. Connect the commslink to the PC.

4. Run Psi2Backup and select the port the Commslink is connected to on the Setup tab.

5. Select the Restore tab, click on 'Select pack image to restore' and select FLSHFORM.OPK in the FLASH folder.

6. Click "Start restoring"

7. Follow  the instructions on the screen. If  you receive a 'different pack size' warning, ignore it.

8. Psi2Backup comes with driver version 1.9. If your driver is an earlier version (or if you aren't sure):
   - remove all packs and devices
   - go to main menu, press ON/CLEAR
   - remove current driver (main menu > FLASH > REMOVE)
   - insert the prepared pack
   - press ON/CLEAR again

B. Making a flash formatter pack:

1. You need either a DATApack or a RAMpack of any size. Backup all data, because the following procedure will erase the pack completely!

2. UV-erase the DATApack. Important: It must not be inserted into the organiser after formatting! RAMpacks don't need to be formatted.

3. Connect the organiser to your PC.

4. Run Psi2Backup and select the port the Commslink is connected to on the Setup tab.

5. Select the Restore tab, click on 'Select pack image to restore' and select FLSHFORM.OPK in the FLASH folder.

6. Click "Start restoring"

7. Follow  the instructions on the screen. If  you receive a 'different pack size' warning, ignore it.

8. Psi2Backup comes with driver version 1.9. If your driver is an earlier version (or if you aren't sure):
   - remove all packs and devices
   - go to main menu, press ON/CLEAR
   - remove current driver (main menu > FLASH > REMOVE)
   - insert the prepared pack
   - press ON/CLEAR again

9. Now insert your flashpack, select FLASH and FORMAT ....

The drivers size is about 7.4k, the rest of the flash formatter pack is free and may be used as usually.

Remember, both packs must be inserted whenever you want to re-format your flashpack!
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005, 2:57am by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.