The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Frequently Asked Questions
   FAQ - Packs

Can I make a DataPack eraser myself?
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can I make a DataPack eraser myself?  (Read 2544 times)
theBot
Administrator

« on: Jan 1st, 2001, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You can make an eraser for about 25UKP - buy a cheap flourescent pocket torch (about 5UKP). Then go to your local MAPLIN store and buy a spare tube for their UVPROM eraser about 20UKP. Those blue looking UV tubes that you get with Banknote checkers will NOT work. Fit the tube to the torch and away you go - just don't look at it too long when it's on. Incidentally I found that the clear plastic cover needed to be removed for the device to work. You can erase 6 datapacks at once with this!
glennwalsh

Re: Can I make a DataPack eraser myself?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 7:34pm »

The reason the cover needs to be removed is because most common types of glass and perspex don't transmit UV.  That's why you don't get a suntan indoors!

I've built a few erasers over the years and we always fitted a safety interlock switch to prevent any exposure to the UV by the user as it can be quite hazardous to the eyes.

It would be easy enough to remove the parts from the flourescent torch and put them in a closed box.  A cigar box is a good size and you can put a microswitch in that switches off as soon as the lid is opened.

The batteries and electronics can go in a second box glued underneath.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2005, 7:39pm by glennwalsh »

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.
dragonmeister

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 3:03pm »

Maplins no longer stock the spare bulbs required.
They can be sourced at  aquatics-direct.co.uk

item name      order code    value  
4W REPLACEMENT BULB  17400      £5.95

Postage is around £3.95

The tube is also known as G4T5.

No-one can put out the dragons fire.
djr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 11:42pm »

Does anyone still offer datapak erasing service in the US? I have been using Psion LZ64s to collect data on the behavior of nesting birds in arctic Alaska, but the datapaks I am using are full and need erasing before the coming field season. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!
Dan
Brian Perrett

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 8:22am »

Sorry but I'm in the UK. I do still offer this service though.

If you have access to an EPROM eraser you could use that. You may need to remove the circuit board from the case (the case usually just clips together) to fit it into the eraser. Half an hour is a good "cooking" time.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 9:37am »

I'm in the UK too.  Mine is a standard Psion eraser, which just does 2 paks at a time with an auto-timer.

The advice about taking the paks apart is GOOD!  Otherwise, you would need to peel off the label and replace it every time to reveal the small hole - not much point.  Psion used to sell packs of labels... I've been un-clipping my cases for around 20 years now, for erasure and still no problem, so I'd say it was safe to do!

Another, related point.  If you can still find them (v. small, by today's standards) the EPROM chip can be changed - it is just a standard type.  Just replace with one of the same type.  N.B. only do this if you are handy with a soldering iron!  I couldn't get IC sockets to fit - space is tight, otherwise that might have made a great alternative to erasure..

Of course, if you can find a FLASH pak, or two, life would be a lot simpler.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2010, 9:41am by Mikesan »
Brian Perrett

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 11:22am »

I noticed that the page referred to in an earlier post about how to make an EPROM eraser is no longer on the net (the host is no more and I couldn't find it in a search) so I did a check using the wayback machine and I've managed to get the guts of the page from there.

I've posted the page, with some of my own notes, on:
http://highfields-arc.co.uk/constructors/other/epromerase.htm
(address edited April 2011 due to site move)

for those that may find it useful.

Brian.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2011, 9:41pm by Brian Perrett »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.