The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Frequently Asked Questions
   FAQ - General

How do I change the battery without losing data?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do I change the battery without losing data?  (Read 1984 times)
theBot
Administrator

« on: Jan 1st, 2001, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The data in pack A: is held in RAM, which means that without electricity, the data will be lost (data on Datapacks and Rampacks will not be lost however). It is possible to swap batteries fast enough that there is enough charge to keep the data, but this is not 100% reliable (don't get paranoid: it works 99.9% ).  

The best thing to do is to connect the organiser to a mains adapter while you carry out the switch.  

Nevertheless, here are a few tips on how to swap batteries without an adapter:
  • Switch the organiser off.  
  • Remove sliding case and battery cover.  
  • Put the replacement battery as near as possible, and in the correct orientation (smaller plus pole closer to the organiser).
  • As quickly as possible flip out the old battery and insert the new one.
  • Be careful not to touch the ON key while you swap batteries, as this would force a cold boot.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:23pm by Boris »
The_Doctor

Re: How do I change the battery without losing dat
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 11:20pm »

Bit of extra info...

You actually get about 2 minutes, but the thing that might be responsible for the occasional failure is the odd moments when an Organiser clicks to itself twice quickly and at the same time momentarily activates the screen, during it's maintenance of timekeeping. (See "Why does my organiser click every so often?")
If this happened while the battery was out, it would have the same effect as accidentally pressing the ON key.

The best thing to do if you need to change the battery without external backup of either power or data, is put the organiser ready with the covers open and a new battery with it, beside you during some quiet moment, and as soon as you hear that quiet click, wait a second, and then you will have more than enough time to do it without haste.

It might even be possible to avoid the wait if during shutdown, the Organiser updates the time and restarts its count to the next time check, but as it's triggered by the hardware, my guess is that you can't...
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:34pm by Boris »
Boris
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2003, 3:00pm »

Thanks for the extra info!

After shutdown, the next click event will be exactly 34 minutes and 8 seconds later.

In order to avoid this event, you should  
  • turn the organiser on once more with the old battery
  • turn it off again (if it hasn't yet done this on its own)  
  • change the battery afterwards.

And try to remember if you have set a (diary) alarm! If so: don't change the battery when the alarm is due!
  • « Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005, 2:31am by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
    Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
    Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 9:51pm »

One more thing:

Someone told me that he didn't find the battery!

The battery is inserted at the bottom of the organiser. The battery compartment is hidden by the sliding cover. To remove the cover, just keep pulling after the first stop (when the keyboard is exposed). You'll see the battery cover then.
    « Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2005, 12:49pm by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
    Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
    Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
    Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
    YaBB © 2000-2002,
    Xnull. All Rights Reserved.