The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   User Post
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   ADSS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ADSS  (Read 745 times)
Mikesan
Administrator

ADSS
« on: Apr 18th, 2015, 5:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The programs that I wrote of any size used a system that I termed ADSS which stands for Automatic Display Switching System, which I wrote in 1992.

I did put up a pak which had ADSS in there in 2005, but you had to dig it out. So I have dug out my original one, with all the notes that I made so that I could use it on various projects, if anybody is interested.

This version was the later one that I did that had stuff like input routines in it (though I now think that many should really have been done properly in machine code - there's a challenge for someone...).

You can, however, use these with very little extra code to produce a program that will work on both the 2 line and 4 line machines and it'll detect which it is on and use the display appropriately.

N.B. the 2 line display is often the limiting factor, but hey...

P.S. In the ADSS folder in the zip, you can run/look at adsstop.opl and copy/modify that. You can get an idea of what it will look like on an Organiser II using the emulator-specific version of the 'top' procedure, without actually owning an Organiser II.

You can download the Organiser II Developer from this site, which is what includes the emulator. Alternatively, why not try the emulator written by the user SORA on this forum? That is much more like the real thing, but of course does not include the debugging utilities found in the Developer. BTW, you'll miss those in if you do any SIBO programming too

[[ NATIVELY, WINDOWS 7 WON'T RUN A LOT OF PSION SOFTWARE, OR HANDLE RS232 CONNECTIONS VERY WELL. HOWEVER, TRY RUNNING MICROSOFT'S "Virtual XP" UNDER WINDOWS 7 AND YOU MIGHT BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! ]]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

I currently use an HP8200 Elite SFF running Win 7 64bit Pro, which has an actual RS232 port - I bought it on eBay because of this. It runs EVERYTHING (including SIBO tools) and connects flawlessly, with no tinkering, or tampering - UNDER VIRTUAL XP FROM WITHIN WINDOWS 7.

As the PC's hardware moves further away from what it was in the "The Good Old Days" where Windows 98 crashed with an assuring regularity, its compatibility with Psion stuff will decrease more and more, I think. So I think it is a good time to say "Yes please!" to someone who says "Do you want this old PC, before I throw it out?"
ADSSZX.zip 71.8 kb
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2017, 10:44am by Mikesan »
Mikesan
Administrator

Re: ADSS
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2017, 10:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We are becoming spoilt for choice now  , as there is the Psion Developer, Sora's emulator and now Jaap's online one!  The latter two run based on copies of the system ROM and so will run machine code routines, which Psion's Developer does not.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.