The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   User Post
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   A Router Without An IP Address
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Router Without An IP Address  (Read 998 times)
Mikesan
Administrator

A Router Without An IP Address
« on: Apr 29th, 2014, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Have you ever used a router?  Yeah, the ones that cut wood... They are cheap nowadays and can make tricky jobs considerably easier.  They are also great for repeat jobs - given the right tooling.

The secret to using routers effectively is to use constraints.  You need to make certain that the cutter can only go where you want it to - you should not have to even see where the cutter is working (quite often, the flying debris makes this impossible anyway).  So you use a guide.

If you have ever put locks in doors with a chisel and perhaps a flat-bit, then you know how long it takes and how good you have to be to make it look professional.  Multiply that by maybe nine sets (doors) of these operations for a small house, or possibly many more for a larger one and you can begin to see why you need an edge!

This is the Psion Organiser II Forum, so I'm not going to expand on how you should construct your jigs.  However, UK company, www.Jali.co.uk offer a service that they call 'MDF shapes' and this is one very easy way to make such guides.  This might solve the problem of how to construct the guides accurately.  They manufacture to a tolerance of 1mm which is pretty good.  You can dimension and position rectangles and round holes very easily using the online designer.  I deal guide material can be made from 6mm thick MDF quite easily.

Most of these circular metal guides supplied with your router are about 30mm on the outer diameter and this will usually accommodate most cutter bits, but sometimes they are smaller, or larger - you should measure them.  Another point to consider is that the actual plate of the router is also a guide, so you should measure the diameter of that too.

But when it comes to trying to work out where that cutter's edge will be, given its diameter and the diameter of the circular guide, then it is easy to make mistakes.  If your sheet guide is made incorrectly, then all your future work will be carried out with the same error.

The calculation is actually super-simple, see the program, but remembering this stuff when you are doing woodworking is perhaps something most people would want to try and avoid having to do.

The other situation is that sometimes you might see a piece of wood, or metal with a hole in it and wonder what sized hole you could use it to make, using your router.  Once again, all that tricky number stuff - very boring  That's why RoutGyde has a 'DISCERN' function and a 'MAKE' function.  You use the 'DISCERN' function to see what the gap you already have would produce with the different combinations of cutters and guides that you have for your router.

I wrote this program initially just for making the rectangular guides (way and ahead the most common usage in my experience), but then thought it might be handy to use it 'backward' so to speak.  I didn't go for the width & height inputs like the first version (and actually, I'm not sure how useful it is to have two like that anyway) and I decided that just one would be best, as we don't know what shape the hole (that you might intend to use as a guide) is...

The program should be translated and run on the machine you want to run it on.  I've kept it for the 16 character 2-line display, but you can tweak to your heart's content

It doesn't do anything fancy  in OPL (but you might find the key-get mechanism for the tool and guide selection in RGSELECT.OPL useful all over the place in you programs), so it should even run on a CM.  This program is very self explanatory, so I won't bother to explain every detail of what you should put in.  I have chosen millimetres for the units.

You should change the values in the RGVIEW.OPL procedure to suit your own tools.  I had considered having them in a file and just reading them in, so there exists another great opportunity for tweaking!  You could also consider devising a method of saving profiles that you use often.

As with everything I post on here that I have written, it is 100% freeware for non-commercial use.  Now is the start of the better weather and time for taking those tools out of the shed, or the garage and doing a bit of DIY!

Have Fun!

Mikesan - 28/04/2014.

N.B. The .TRN, .OB3, .MAP and .OPK files were created for convenience.
Please see; http://archive.psion2.org/org2/devman.htm
RoutGyde.zip (attachment deleted)
Mikesan
Administrator

Re: A Router Without An IP Address
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2014, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It always happens
I showed someone else how it worked and then saw that I had left the 'TOOLS' menu in, which is an unnecessary step. So it has been removed and 'BACK' on the last menu is now 'MODE'.

Just replace ROUTGYDE.OPL (or .OB3) with this one.

N.B. Downloading .OB3 not clear? Use my UPAK 'Swiss army knife' and you'll find it easy; Link - Transfer -  Up/Down - Type (MOPL) - Pack (A/B/C) then Ready.
RoutGyde_v1.1.zip (attachment deleted)
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014, 4:57pm by Mikesan »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.