The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   User Post
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   PSIORA - Psion II Emulator
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator  (Read 4561 times)
Sora
Administrator

PSIORA - Psion II Emulator
« on: Sep 15th, 2013, 5:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At the moment the emulator is still being developed, and so is a bit buggy in places. However the main functionality seems to be working.

If people can try it out and feedback to me with bugs that would be great.
All instructions to download and install can be found on github.

http://github.com/scottrichardscg/psiora

I'll regularly be commiting new code, and issues can be added to github.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2017, 9:13pm by Sora »

Psiora - Psion II Emulator by Scott Richards
New download coming soon...
Steve

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator - Alpha Release 0.4
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 10:17am »

Well done sir, and thank you. i shall look forward to downloading and using this much anticipated, and much needed software.

Best wishes,

Steve
Sora
Administrator

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator - Alpha Release 0.4
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2013, 6:16pm »

NEW VERSION 0.47 alpha now avaliable for download from
www.srcgi.co.uk/psiora

I've intergrated all the ROMs I had into this version so you no longer need them as seperate files. If you have a ROM not listed, and your happy to contribute it to the project. Please contact me, and I can include it.

The BIG update this time is.... PAK ACCESS
Yep. We now have Read access to 8,16,32,64KB linear and paged datapaks and rampaks. Stored ether in RAW or OPK format.

I have enabled write access too, but it is severally buggy and just plain not working. So if you find it does work for you, please let me know so I can track down the problem.

Next I plan to work on allowing you import and export files directly to/from the psion RAM. Removing the need for "build pak" programs. As well as fix write PAK access.

As usual, send bugs and comments my way ether by posting them here, or use the contact page on my website.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2013, 6:18pm by Sora »

Steve

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator - Alpha 0.47
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2013, 8:06pm »

A nice touch in this new release. We can now load up a pak image and run it in the emulator. Also there's no need to load a ROM from a folder on ones PC.

Will look forward to future releases with the facility to load up opl procedures into the emulator. That's if I've understood the author's last post correctly.

Well done Scott. I hope there is plenty of interest shown in this project, by other forum members.

Steve
Sora
Administrator

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator - Alpha 0.47
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 9:44pm »

Yep you understood. As you said, you will be able to load programs and files you have on your pc in .opl, .ob3, .odb and .nts format straight into the emulator. Exactly as if you copied them there with a comms link.

This features will be coming soon, I have one more release coming out in a few hours which fixes some bugs which were breaking some games.

I'm trying to do as much work now as possible, as I know I'll make slower progress next month due to some major university deadlines.

Sora
Administrator

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator - Alpha 0.48
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 11:49pm »

Version 0.48 alpha is now available.

This contains minor updates to fix some memory access bugs which were causing some UDG graphics to make the emulator crash.

Sora
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2014, 12:31pm »

Appologise for the slow updates, Ive had a lot of university work recently. I'm still actively working on this emulator when I can.

I have upgrade some of the main components in the emulator code. So here is the list of new features in the coming update.

* Hardware accelerated graphics - this will hopefully fix flicking graphics and make the display look smooth
* UI improvements
* Able to import and export text based OPL files (this will be extended to handle all filetypes at some point)
* Support for segmented datapaks
* Datapak/Rampak write - experimental at the moment

One thing that would be of great value to me, is to know if there is any specific feature requests from anyone using it.

Ill post here with more updates.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2014, 6:31pm »

Excellent work on this ongoing project. I can appreciate what effort you put in around all your university work. Well done and thank you for the upcoming update.

Steve
Matteo

« Reply #8 on: Jul 2nd, 2014, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I would like to download the win 32 executable, but I don't find it on your website nor on sourceforge.
starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2016, 1:09am »

Looks like Sora lost interest. I emailed him/her on the website listed at the SourceForge page -- no reply.

Oh well
Mikesan
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2016, 12:47pm »

I think he's really busy with the university stuff, but you may be right, it has been a while...
Sora
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2016, 10:17pm »

Hi Guys.

Sorry I was really busy completing my Master's degree and had to drop all project as a result. My website has also changed while I update things for job hunting.

But I am working on this emulator still. Actually got the source code open now, ill try and get a new version out in the new year. I'm just fixing some keyboard issues but this version has full support for Read/Write on all Ram/Datapaks images up to 128Kb.

I've also been doing some experimenting with the Raspberry Pi, and worked a solution to attach psion datapaks directly to a pis gpio port an access them from the Pi So maybe a version of the emulator on the pi in future which can directly access real paks and drive a real LCD.

Anyone who wants to contact me directly can always email me on scottrichardscg (at) gmail (dot) com
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2016, 11:16am by Sora »

starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29th, 2016, 5:27pm »

Glad to hear from you I hope you got your degree.

Sounds like you've got some nice stuff coming down the pipe soon, though -- I can't wait to see it!

...um, about that Linux version of PSIORA... I'm on Mint now. It's an Ubuntu derivative... er, you /can/ do a Linux version, right...?
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2016, 5:29pm by starhawk »
Sora
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29th, 2016, 6:58pm »

I actually develop on Kubuntu normally, so the emulator is Linux based and ported to windows.

It will work on:
* any debian/ubuntu based distribution that supports QT5 and SDL2.
* Windows 7-10. (I can compile a Windows XP version if people need it).
* ARM based machines (Raspberry Pi).

starhawk
Power Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 29th, 2016, 8:37pm »

Cool! Is it, er, "just" an emulator, or does it also replicate CommsLink functionality? I /really/ could use the latter. I've not been using my Org2, mostly because the CommsLink stuff doesn't speak Linux... (no, I won't use WINE.)
Sora
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29th, 2016, 8:55pm »

I'm afraid there is no comms link functionality included in the emulator. It is purely emulator of the psion and paks.

I have no information on how the comms link works (what is transferred and handsahaking protocols), to be able to write that. If someone has documentation on this however, I'll be happy to look into it.

Rather than wine, perhaps dosbox for linux can run the original comms link software? That has serial port support.

joakinen

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30th, 2016, 12:45pm »

Glad to hear this proyect is still alive! Keep on and congratulations for your degree.

Sora
Administrator

Re: PSIORA - Psion II Emulator
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15th, 2017, 9:12pm »

I've moved the source code for the emulator to github and made it open source now. I don't have any releases up yet as this version is not final yet. But it will compile on modern machines and has emulation of all Psion 2 models. Datapak support will come later this week.

source code can be found here

http://github.com/scottrichardscg/psiora

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.