The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   User Post
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Psi2Backup
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Psi2Backup  (Read 8488 times)
Boris
Administrator

Re: Psi2Backup
« Reply #20 on: May 4th, 2010, 9:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No workaround, sorry. In fact, Psi2Backup is a workaround itself, it is just a shell to provide the 1986 Psion programs with an environment to fullfill their job in a 2010 world and also serves to translate the wishes of GUI dependent users of 2010 to these programs.  
MAKE & UNMAKE support only COM1 and COM2, and there is absolutely nothing that I can do about. Well, unless someone would disassemble unmake.bin AND explain it to me...

However, there is a way: I actually know how to dump pack data, even corrupted one, to PC. This method uses the FILE service which is provided by Psi2Win for most, if not all COM-ports. It is not at all a method suited for the average GUI-dependent user, so it has not been published so far.

psi2web: I have been thinking about this, but how do you plan to access a serial port from a web app? Even doomish ActiveX will refuse, since killbits have been set on MSCOMMS32.OCX

Source code: I provide everyone with all code s|he desires, but I can't guarantee satisfaction. I have been very negligent in commenting, and I must confess that even me myself sometimes has troubles understanding the code that I have been writing years ago.

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Perekk

« Reply #21 on: May 7th, 2010, 1:15pm »

on May 4th, 2010, 9:45pm, Boris wrote:

MAKE & UNMAKE support only COM1 and COM2, and there is absolutely nothing that I can do about. Well, unless someone would disassemble unmake.bin AND explain it to me...

Ah ok, I was not aware of this limitation in make and unmake.

However, there is a way: I actually know how to dump pack data, even corrupted one, to PC. This method uses the FILE service which is provided by Psi2Win for most, if not all COM-ports. It is not at all a method suited for the average GUI-dependent user, so it has not been published so far.

It sounds interesting! If it don't take you much time, would you publish it ?

psi2web: I have been thinking about this, but how do you plan to access a serial port from a web app? Even doomish ActiveX will refuse, since killbits have been set on MSCOMMS32.OCX

I was thinking about a psi2twit function to post something on twitter, or a function to sincronyze org 2 diary with google calendar, or a function to get "slices" of html from certain page.

It wouldn't be too difficult to make such library, the biggest problem would be to code the serial line protocol.

Source code: I provide everyone with all code s|he desires, but I can't guarantee satisfaction. I have been very negligent in commenting, and I must confess that even me myself sometimes has troubles understanding the code that I have been writing years ago.

Don't worry about it, you made a little great app that -works- and the most important thing is that you coded the protocol. I'm sure that your code is not worse than all the code I have to debug everyday.  
hiddenevil

« Reply #22 on: Nov 16th, 2018, 2:13pm »

Doesn't seem to support the usb comm link
jaap
Power Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 16th, 2018, 4:15pm »

It is probably not to do with the USB comms link as such. There are two possible problems:

1. This program is just a wrapper around the original DOS programs from Psion. Those DOS programs do not run on 64bit machines, so this program won't work on 64bit machines either, regardless of what kind of comms link you are using. The only way I can get those old programs to run is via DOSBox.

2.  If you can still run those DOS programs (e.g. are using a 32bit OS), then it still only works of the comms link is on com port 1 or 2. This is because in the mid 1980s PCs usually only had those two ports, and Psion's programs were written then. It is not likely that the usb comms link happens to get assigned to port 1 or 2 automatically, so you will have to arrange for this to happen. I think there is software out there that allows you to reassign com ports, but I don't have experience with that.

As I mentioned above, I run MAKE/UNMAKE inside DOSBox, and have its settings so that it maps the laptop's comms link usb port to the COM1: port inside DOSBox.

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
hiddenevil

« Reply #24 on: Nov 16th, 2018, 6:39pm »

32bit - check
Windows xp - check
Original serial comm link nope :-P

Thanks for reply, I might have to pm you about using MAKE.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.