The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   User Post
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   Psi2Backup
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Psi2Backup  (Read 8486 times)
Boris
Administrator

Psi2Backup
« on: Oct 20th, 2004, 9:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Psi2Backup

an easy way to backup and shift valuable packs

• backup any pack
  • restore or append to any pack
  • supports all pack types
  • optionally compresses data (removes deleted records/files)

Psi2Backup allows to backup complete packs to the PC. It supports all pack types (Program, Data, Flash, RAM), even if these are marked as copy protected.

The resulting pack image files (*.OPK) can be restored to another pack, even if the pack size and/or type is different. The contents can even be appended to an existing pack.

Psi2Backup optionally removes deleted data from the pack image, either when backing up or while restoring. This feature allows to compress packs easily.

Download the latest version (2008-12-17)

- Psi2Backup_v1_01.zip (48 kb)
    or
    - Psi2Backup_v1_01.msi (1.49 MB)

The second download is a complete installer package, use it if you're on Vista or addicted to start menu entries, and also if you get something like 'component missing' (or similar) when starting up Psi2Backup.

If you have installed any of the previous versions, do not use the installer again, simply download the zip-file and extract it to the Psi2Backup folder in your 'programs' folder.  

Otherwise, since the installer is a free, and therefore rather limited Micro$oft product, you must uninstall the previous version prior to using the new msi file!  
    (- subject to change -)

The posts below are in historical order. All mentioned bugs have been fixed.
  • Psi2Backup_0_01.zip 63.5 kb
    « Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:31am by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
    Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
    Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
    Tom Scharf

Email

Re: Psi2Backup V0.0.1
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 11:23pm »
    Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I tried Boris's Psi2Backup utility and it works brilliantly! I also installed Psi2Win which may have supplied some missing Vbasic files or whatever.
    Anyway, it does what it says on the tin! It successfully copied the copy protected master 32K datapak onto my hard-disk, and then copied it back onto a 64K datapak. There was a warning that I was copying a 32K datapak into a 64K one but I ignored that, and rightly so. The new datapak works perfectly.
    When the DOS boxes come up, read and follow the instructions in them carefully with regard to when to plug the paks in. You don't want the org2 to size the blank pak before you program it.
    My only trivial comment is that both datapaks need to be plugged into drive C: (the bottom one). It would be nice to be able to put the master into drive B: and the other one into drive C:

Cheers: Tom
    « Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:45am by Boris »
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:18am »

It would be nice to be able to put the master into drive B: and the other one into drive C:

If only it was possible  

In other words: the (UN)MAKE progs launched by Psi2Backup were made in 1987 (!)

Unless someone disassembles (un)make.bin, you will have to follow the instructions (un)make.exe issues.

BTW: I donate an LZ64+CL to anyone who demystifies both Psions make.bin and unmake.bin. These are the files that are executed on the organiser during the backup/restore.
    « Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:06am by Boris »

Mark Rivers-Moore

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 12:05pm »
    Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a friend of Tom's and I disassembled unmake.bin in 1990 to bypass the protection for the product Tom is still copying today. I should perhaps point out that I wrote the code for the datapack in question!

How much would you like unmake.bin demystified? Since Tom emailed me to mention this thread, I've disassembled most of it again (only 909 bytes). I have enough info so far to hack it to read different packs, but a bit more work would enable me to provide an assembler files to compile.

I have the full technical manuals for the Psion Organiser II, plus the addendums for the LZ/LZ64, COMMS LINK and RS232 port control.

Cheers
    Mark
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 6:06pm »

Hi Mark!

I would like to make (UN)MAKE work with Psi2Win (the 32bit CL.EXE replacement).  
    The idea is that the original (un)make.bin is booted on the organiser and Psi2Win does supply the same responses as (un)make would do.
    Therefore I would need to know the codes that are used in the communication of make.bin with make.exe.
    I have been spying on the data being sent in a make session, but havn't been able to figure everything out.  
    Probably unmake is easier for the start....

BTW: do you have a disassembler for HD6303 code?
    « Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 6:46pm by Boris »

martinstahl

Re: Psi2Backup
    « Reply #5 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:25pm »

Hello Boris,

I am not shure, but it seems, that the unmake.exe (1.6.1992 with 41kb) is now an earlier version than in your PsiBackup 0.90 (it is from 28.11.1997 with 37kb).

With the older version of unmake.exe it is not possible to make a backup.

When I copy the unmake.exe from 1997 into the PsiBackup directory, then the backup function seems to work.

But when I try to restore the file to a new flash datapak there appears an error message: "xyz.opk is not a valid OPK file".

Is there also a newer version of make.exe?

Thanks a lot!

Martin
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 9:47pm »

The current version contains the original MAKE & UNMAKE V3.20. These were released in 1992.  
    This is the latest version known, and probably the only one  that fully supports flashpacks.

There are no newer versions. However I have noticed that V3.00 has a 1997 filedate, but this must be incorrect, since the development ceased in 1992.

Well, I have forgot an important point:
    UNMAKE v3.20 will *not* transfer copy protected packs. Other packs should work fine.  

If you are in need of v3.00 (ignores protection): download the latest version of Psi2Backup (initial post) and unzip only UNMAKE.* (3 files) to the Psi2Backup program folder. It allows to switch between v3.00 (patched to ignore  copy protection) and 3.20 (full support for flashpacks).
    « Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008, 10:00pm by Boris »

unclevernon

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 7:28am »

on Oct 21st, 2004, 12:18am, Boris wrote:
    Unless someone disassembles (un)make.bin

Here is the result of an attempt to disassemble make.bin. I am not familiar with 6303 assembly so I just went ahead and assumed that everything that is not an ASCII string is code.  Hope this is of help. If it makes sense, I will also try to do the unmake if someone is interested.
    Best regards,
    UV
    make_asm.txt 132.2 kb
    unclevernon

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 9:00am »

Hi to all,
    I am trying to make backups of two packs, found in an old Psion II 'Mark 1' model (as I guess from the description in the model oracle).  One pack is a 16K datapack, with an EPROM glass window in the back, the other is a 'FINANCE' pack. The packs might contain data, but I am not sure. I tried a Psion II XP to make the backup. When I make the backup, for both packs the PSION reports :

FatalErrNo: 240
    UNKNOWN PACK

What could be the cause of this? Would packs from a Mark1 not be readable with an XP model? Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

UV
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 12:26pm »

Organiser 1 (one) packs are organised completely different than Organiser II (two) packs.
    The Organiser II sees them as write protected foreign media. Therefore they cannot be backed up as whole, sorry!

But there is limited backward compatibility: Org2 can read (not write) all plain text data as a single file.

So data (not the programs!) can be copied to the Organiser II using the COPY utility according to the technical manual.
    Since I don't have a Psion1 pack, I can't test this, but most likely the following procedure will copy all data from the pack to a file on A:.

• insert the Org1 pack in the upper slot B
  • select COPY ( LZ: Xfiles>Copy )
  • type B:MAIN ( LZ: select B, type (!) MAIN )
  • press <EXE>
  • type A:ORG1DATA ( LZ: select A, type...)
  • press <EXE>

The resulting file ORG1DATA can be transferred to PC easily by COMMS>TRANSMIT>FILE

BTW: Using FIND should also reveal the data.

to unclevernon:

Thanks for the disassembly, guess I'm not much more clever than before, probably should have written "unless someone disassembles and explains...." (8-)
  • « Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2005, 12:14am by Boris »

unclevernon

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 12:46pm »

on Jul 19th, 2005, 12:26pm, Boris wrote:
    Organiser 1 (one) packs are organised completely different from Organiser II (two) packs.
    I opend up the pack and saw a standard EPROM inside. The only option left then I guess is to solder the EPROM from the PCB and read the data (if any) directly from the chip with an EPROM programmer. Or does anybody else have an idea how to get access?
    « Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2005, 12:47pm by unclevernon »
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 1:04pm »

on Jul 19th, 2005, 12:46pm, unclevernon wrote:

I opend up the pack and saw a standard EPROM inside. The only option left then I guess is to solder the EPROM from the PCB and read the data (if any) directly from the chip with an EPROM programmer. Or does anybody else have an idea how to get access?

I don't see the point. You can read any plain text data (if any) by using FIND on the Org2. The rest is probably programs, which you cant use on the Org2 anyway, because they are 100% incompatible.  

If you need to copy the pack (for what reason ever), yes, you'll have to do it the hard way by cloning the eprom.

logicaid
    Power Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 7:23am »

on Oct 27th, 2004, 6:06pm, Boris wrote:
    Hi Mark!

I would like to make (UN)MAKE work with Psi2Win .....
    snip.....

BTW: do you have a disassembler for HD6303 code?

Did you find/get a diss-asm? DASMx should be good but I haven't tried it.
    dasmx130.zip 251.6 kb
    roger_webb

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 5:08pm »

I tried to use Psi2Backup V0.0.1 Under Vista
    I get "Component @TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly regisered: a file is missing or invalid.   Any ideas?

Roger
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 7:44pm »

Hmm.  

I will have to look into that....

Two things I need to know:  
    - Has Psi2Win already been installed when the error occurred?
    - Did you use the msi (reply#6) or the zip (reply#5)?
    « Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008, 8:00pm by Boris »

roger_webb

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 7:51pm »

- Has Psi2Win already been installed when the error occurred?

No that is currently installed on another machine.
    Roger
    « Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008, 8:02pm by Boris »
    Boris
    Administrator

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 8:05pm »

Please use the installer version.  

If it still doesn't work, install Psi2Win.

To my best knowledge, this will resolve all dependencies.
    « Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2008, 5:01pm by Boris »

Boris
    Administrator

Re: Psi2Backup v1.00
    « Reply #17 on: Dec 7th, 2008, 5:01pm »

I have just released V1.00 of Psi2Backup. I hope this will finally resolve all 'component missing' problems (for vista, please use the installer version).

Please update!  
    « Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008, 11:25pm by Boris »

Boris
    Administrator

Update: Psi2Backup V1.01
    « Reply #18 on: Dec 17th, 2008, 11:08pm »

Unfortunately I have forgotten to include some files in  the previous release packages (v1.00).    
    This update contains the same program, but this time with all extra files. I must admit I have been negligent, sorry for any inconveniences  

Please use the links in the initial message of this thread to download V1.01.  

BTW. If you have used any of the previous installer versions, you don't need to use it again, simply download the zip-file and extract it to the Psi2Backup folder in your 'programs' folder. If you want to use the installer again, you must uninstall the previous version prior to using the new msi file!
    « Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008, 11:36pm by Boris »

Perekk

« Reply #19 on: May 4th, 2010, 3:42pm »

Hi all,  
    in the setup tab of psi2backup I can choose only com1 or com2.  
    My organizer is connected to com3, because com1 and com2 are not working, is there a workaround ?  

BTW are the source of psi2backup (and psi2win) available?  
    I would like to contribuite to the code and I have some nice ideas for a "psi2web" application.
    Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
    YaBB © 2000-2002,
    Xnull. All Rights Reserved.