The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   Site Info (read only)
   News

The new Psion Organiser II Forum
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The new Psion Organiser II Forum  (Read 14716 times)
Boris
Administrator

The new Psion Organiser II Forum
« on: Oct 15th, 2002, 10:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm enourmously proud to present  

The Psion Organiser II Forum

today (Oct 15, 2002).

When I took over the Psion Organiser II Homepage in March, I promised that I would reinstall the chat and the auction as soon as I find a free home for the scripts.

In June Zac Schroff offered me free webspace on his server. Gratefully I accepted.

I could have reinstalled the former 'Psion Chat'. This would have been quite an easy task. But the good old chat had too many disadvantages: No appearent way to format the posts, not threaded, email adresses exposed to public, no way to delete or change a post,....

So I started from zero by using YaBB (yet another bulletin board), a widely spread open source project. It was functional almost right out of the box, but I liked to add some other features.  
Fortunately - I thought - there are lots of add-ons, that were written by many people around the world. I installed quite a lot of them, until I suddenly noticed, that the option I considered the most important - automatic notification of new posts - did not at all work as expected, about 50% of emails were miracously not sent, but - even worse - sometimes emails were sent although there was no reason to do so.
I discovered that a few of these addons were programmed in a lousy style and started to fix the bugs. However I had to rewrite much of the code of the notification add-on.

Well, this is why it took more time than expected, but now, after many weeks of installing, setting up, tweaking, bugfixing and getting nervous about,
it is finally finished.

Now its YOUR playground.

Enjoy...

BTW: The auction will follow. As it will partially use the script used at org2.com combined with the Forum's registering/login/notification functionallity, I hope this will not take so much time.
[edit 2006]   Ebay has proved to be more useful ....
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2006, 3:24am by Boris »

Triholerahduliäöhh gugguh !! (tyrolean joy jodler)
Rough translation: There's a new build of Psi2Win!!
Email: boris[at]psion2[dot]org
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.