The PSION Organiser II Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Why register?
   The Psion Organiser II Forum
   User Forum
   Help
(Moderator: Mikesan)
   CM & Autoscribe
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CM & Autoscribe  (Read 48 times)
hiddenevil

CM & Autoscribe
« on: Nov 1st, 2018, 10:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys

First time poster and new user of the Psion Organiser II.  

I'm trying to transfer data from my CM over to the PC using Psi2win and a USB comm link cable. Sadly I'm now realising the error I made in purchasing a CM and not an XP. When the Comm link is connected, I'm unable to load WP so as to transfer my document.

Is there any other way I can get the document, which is pretty large over to the pc?  

Thus far the only idea I have, is to copy it to a datapak, free up 4k of ram and try again with more memory free.
jaap

Re: CM & Autoscribe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2018, 9:25am »

Here is another possible route - transfer the raw file without using Autoscribe. I hope this works, as I have not tried this myself for real.

When you make an Autoscribe document, it saves it as a normal data file. The name of the file is the same as what you gave it in the program, except that there is an 8 appended. So if you named it MYDOC, then the stored file is MYDOC8.

Using the COMMS - TRANSFER option, you should be able to transfer the file to the PC directly. Unfortunately the resulting file will contain not just the text, but also extra bookkeeping information used by Autoscribe, and you'll have to edit this out. You'll need a text editor for this. On Windows you can use Notepad.exe, but my editor of choice is Textpad ( https://www.textpad.com ).

Each line in the file contains a number, then a tab, and then some text. These numbers indicate the order of the lines, so you should sort them in numerical order. There is one line numbered -1 which contains some weird characters, and you can delete that (it contains some document settings I think). You can then remove the numbers and tabs, and you should be left with just the text of the document.

P.S. If you want an XP model, I'll be happy to send you one for the cost of postage from the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2018, 9:32am by jaap »

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
hiddenevil

« Reply #2 on: Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:20am »

Greetings Jaap!

It is so funny that you should be the one to reply, when I've been using your wonderful website almost elusively these past few days!  

Your advice was fantastic! I knew I'd read about the appended number some place, but I couldn't find where and I had it in my head is was a 6 and not an 8. I was so close! DOH!

Anyway, your suggestion worked and I've successfully transferred the doc over to the PC. I had pretty much filled the <4 kb of ram that was available on the CM and was worried I might not have enough memory left to transfer it. I'm presently writing a piece on Palmtops and PDA's, covering;

-HP Palmtops 95lx/100lx and 200lx  
-Psion Organiser II and Series 3a
-Amstrad NC100

The Organiser II is a fascinating bit of kit, on first glance it's a deceptively simple PDA but the software available really opens it up to become a very capable pocket computer.  

Providing the postage wont break the bank, I would love to take you up on the offer of an XP! That would be great, not to mention a fantastic addition for the piece I'm writing.
jaap

« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2018, 11:09am »

Good to hear it worked.

on Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:20am, hiddenevil wrote:
Providing the postage wont break the bank, I would love to take you up on the offer of an XP! That would be great, not to mention a fantastic addition for the piece I'm writing.

I've sent you a direct message through this forum.

Jaap Scherphuis
https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

The Psion Organiser II Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.